User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to get xml feed from www.financemarkets.co.uk

Hi,

Am developing a new site www.rescue.co.uk, in the news colomn i want to update news from www.financemarkets.co.uk.

How can i get the xml feed from www.financemarkets.co.uk and how should i incorporate that in my site. Any advice is highly appricatable.

Please help me, am very much new to xml feeds.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the bottom of the Finance Markets site is a link called "XML feeds", it goes to a page with a list of all the feeds offered by the site.

As for incorporating it into your site, that will depend on what technologies you're using to build your site. Each server-side language or framework has its own way of parsing XML and incorporating that into the HTML output sent to your visitors.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Louise,

am using static html pages in my site, and i want to show the news all the pages. i managed to get the .xml file from www.financemarkets.co.uk, but i dont know how to incorporate that in my site.

Am very new to this, can u pls help me with a eloborated tutorial, which is easier to implement. Myself am desinger, i know css and html only....

thanks & Regards,

Dhilip.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi Dhilip,

the problem with trying to do this entirely on the client-side is the following: you would need to use javascript to parse and display the XML, but for security reasons the XMLHttpRequest object (what you use in Javascript to get XML from a server) doesn't let you query a different domain from the one the javascript came from.

So for example, if your page is at rescue.co.uk, you couldn't get javascript to load XML from a different domain (e.g. financemarkets). One way around this is to use a pre-baked bit of javascript from an existing service that has its own server side code to parse the XML. For example there are various Google Gadgets for embedding an RSS feed into your site. However in this case you wouldn't have full control over the styling of your script.

Really the best solution is to use a simple PHP script on the server-side. Almost every hosting provider will have PHP set up already, so you just need to ask someone in the PHP forums for a quick snippet to parse the XML and turn it into HTML (it will be extremely simple code).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Louise,

Thanks for your advice, i will post it in php form. And i will let you know the status.

Thanks & Regards,

Dhilip.r

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Thanks for all your replies,

I got a real easy solution, i managed to show particular category and managed to apply my styles using this link

http://www.feedsweep.com/products/fs/create_adv.aspx

Every one can use this, its really an usefull link.

Once again thanks for all your priceless replies.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dildhilip2003 View Post
    Hi Thanks for all your replies,

I got a real easy solution, i managed to show particular category and managed to apply my styles using this link

http://www.feedsweep.com/products/fs/create_adv.aspx

Every one can use this, its really an usefull link.

Once again thanks for all your priceless replies.
    Yahoo YQL and pipes are for same reason.