SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comparing compatibility of Atom vs RSS2

I know that RSS2 is more popular than Atom, but when it comes down to web browser support and other services like RSS Owl and Google Reader, how would you compare the level of application and web services support for Atom? Is it about the same since most applications for the last few years have tried to support both?

The reason I ask this is because I want to have a feed on my site and Atom seems more flexible and checking if most programs and web services support it just as much.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Atom is as supported as RSS, Atom itself is more flexible because the people behind it saw how the RSS specification was limited and decided to expand upon it to provide something with a greater level of control in terms of the META information about the content being syndicated. However for the point of general compatibility and for the sake of those who prefer one format to the other you would do well to provide both Atom and RSS (there is no limits to how many feeds you can have on a website) and you can just embed the link to both through the head of the document.