SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My domain name was illegally stolen from me!

How do I go about getting my domain name back by legal means as I've owned the "asianami.com" domain name since 2006 as part of a online forum dedicated to Asian Pop Culture and I thought it was due to be renewed automatically on the 12th of this month and I found out that it didn't get renewed automatically and now someone else has bought it; a domain name harvesting company called "Domain People".

Domain People info for AsiaNami.com

http://www.domainpeople.com/

Legally, I own the copyright on the name and I feel I shouldn't have to pay another fee to buy the domain name which I originally came up with 3 years ago from of a bunch of greedy *******s!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before I begin, I hope you take the time and read every word I have to say about this.

Copyright and trademarks are 2 very different things. Copyright entitles you to have your content protected. Trademarks are what protects your identity. (I'm being very general here.) Did you mean that you hold a trademark on your name?

If not, then you're not going to like what is the truth of the matter, which is:

If you think having a copyright on your content protects you from not renewing your domain name (regardless of your negligence), you're grossly mistaken. Now, you still might have some options on getting that name back. But if you ask me, your best option would be to simply pay the "fee" that - I'm guessing - is the price this new registrant is going to charge you, to get the name back as quickly as possible - which is your number one priority.

Yes, you could sue them in court, but that would actually cost you more time, money, and aggravation - not to mention what it could do to your health through added stress - than what it would be to pay this small fee (by comparison) up front. You could go through a UDRP to get it back too, but those dont always work out though.

Yes, it does seem unfair that someone scooped up and is trying to profit from your mistake. But you're going to run into that from time to time in life. Best to learn from it, get the name back, and move on - being wiser now and never making the same mistake again.

You'd have the domain back in your possession much sooner and working for you again.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing is, I'm currently unemployed and I thought that companies who you registered your domain name through were supposed to give you a period of time after the renewal date to renew it just in case you weren't able to renew it for whatever reason or other...

In any case, I'm worried that I can't afford the fee and I'll be definitely making my feelings known to the company concerned as I don't want my website's name associated with adult content...

[That's what I mean... I hold a trademark on the name "AsiaNami"]

As for Hostway, I hold them responsible as well as I definitely set up my settings to have the renewal payment taken from my account on the 12th and obviously their software for domain name renewal clearly doesn't work if it can't do the job properly.

I also have further proof that the domain name is mine as when I logged in to renew it, the domain name area still had my details for the domain name registration including name and address...

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You'll have to talk to your registrar...preferably on the phone rather than back and forth through email.
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BorgmanJayce View Post
    I thought that companies who you registered your domain name through were supposed to give you a period of time after the renewal date to renew it just in case you weren't able to renew it for whatever reason or other.
    Many if not all do. But...that's if people renew it on time or stay on top of it.

Unfortunately it seems the domain name expired, wasn't renewed on time, and
    was subsequently taken by another party. Seeing it inside one's account does
    not really mean anything if the domain name truly lapsed.

If your domain name's email on file wasn't working or Hostway's renewal emails
    get filtered, I'd imagine that's why you were never "notified" of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to get in touch with actual domain name owner and try to solve that problem somehow if possible
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. If you have the copyright, you can contact a lawyer to file a suit or issue a legal notice to present owner. sometimes a simple legal letter resolves the issue. As you are unemployed, you can ask lawyer to recover fees once you win the case and get the money from present owner.

2. We see your fault by not renewing the domain whatsoever is the reason. Your registrar is not going to help you.

Whenever a domain is registered it must be checked whether your email ID and all contact details are correct.

Best of luck

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MyDomAinZ.us View Post
    As you are unemployed, you can ask lawyer to recover fees once you win the case and get the money from present owner.
    If the OP wins the case, anyway. And a "decent" lawyer can tell him or her if
    s/he has any chances of winning or not.

From what the OP described, though, it doesn't look good.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, you need to get in touch with a legal advisor and can clam for your domain easily as you owned it since 2006. And if you've got it registered as a trademark then it would be very easy for you to get it back. However, owing a domain name for some years does not mean that you will continue to own it forever.
    Online Consultant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't see anything illegal here in this situation. Don't give up. That will be the lesson for the future and I hope you will never have such mistakes in the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may not have lost your domain. It appears that domainpeople is the registrar. Who did you have it registered with? If you can still access your control panel you may be able to renew it. Has the content on your website changed.