SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blue Screen in Vista and not in Windows 7?

Has anyone tried Windows 7 yet? Let's cut to the chase. I got the Blue Screen of Death several times with Vista. Several times I got it because Vista did not allow for multiple virus detection programs being on one machine at the same time (they did not even have to be running). And now I am having a huge headache. I am getting the BSOD for seemingly just going through a collection of possible fonts that I might want to install. It seems there is a limit to the number of font windows you can have at the same time.

So naturally I am wondering what is next? And naturally I am wondering if really truly these problems are fixed with Windows 7.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xarzu View Post
    Has anyone tried Windows 7 yet? Let's cut to the chase. I got the Blue Screen of Death several times with Vista. Several times I got it because Vista did not allow for multiple virus detection programs being on one machine at the same time (they did not even have to be running). And now I am having a huge headache. I am getting the BSOD...
    There is your problem in bold, those "multiple virus detection programs" are conflicting with each other. They are the source of your problem, not Windows Vista.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xarzu View Post
    So naturally I am wondering what is next? And naturally I am wondering if really truly these problems are fixed with Windows 7.
    You're going to have problems if you try to install multiple antivirus programs in any operating system. These are programs that are meant to elevate themselves above other programs, to be suspicious of everything else running on the system. They also come with databases of signatures to identify viruses, which another antivirus program would rightly see as a threat.

The OS is there to serve you; if you tell it to install programs that don't work together, it will do so because it's your hardware to do with as you please. But by the same token, it can't protect you from software you choose to install.

As for the font thing, maybe you came across some corrupt/bad font files? I really don't know. Windows font management has always been quirky though.

You can always search the Microsoft Knowledgebase, with hundreds of thousands of questions and answers, or even contact Microsoft support. Write down the error message you see on the BSOD; 99% of the time, it will lead you to a hardware problem and a fix.
    Last edited by Dan Grossman; Sep 13, 2009 at 00:20.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I really don't understand why people install multiple antivirus guards on one machine, do they think that the more you have the better protected you are? Antivirus guards are second only to firewalls in terms of the most paranoid applications, you have them running side by side they will notice each other and begin clawing each others eyes out thinking their malicious. Every antivirus product I have seen has a warning about making sure no other antivirus products are on the machine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vista is pretty much stable IMO. Have used it for a while in another box, although XP is still in my home desktop and I don't plan to upgrade to it. I'm very curious as well for Windows 7. Lots of good reviews from it, I've heard. Haven't used it yet, much more seen what it looks like. Maybe this is gonna be my next upgrade.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need multiple antivirus software running at the same time. It will slow down your computer and might cause false positives. I've encountered an antivirus program that reported a virus definition file of another antivirus as infected. Imagine that.

Use Google to find reviews of the best antivirus and malware detection and removal programs.

Having lots of fonts also slows down your computer. Fonts take up memory and loads at boot time.

To boost your PC performance, cut down on some of the unused fonts or move some of these fonts out of the windows/fonts folder.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing to consider is if you are running a 64bit version of Vista and also the exact version, whether it be home, business or ultimate. I originally had 64bit version of vista home premium and I got blue screens after doing updates many times. I changed to the 32 bit version of business and have not had a single issue.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blessedrdameek View Post
    Another thing to consider is if you are running a 64bit version of Vista and also the exact version, whether it be home, business or ultimate. I originally had 64bit version of vista home premium and I got blue screens after doing updates many times. I changed to the 32 bit version of business and have not had a single issue.
    It was probably one of your 64 bit hardware drivers, then, not the OS. The majority of desktop PCs sold in stores now run Vista Home Premium x64 (32-bit can't make use of more than 3-4GB of RAM, and new computers come with 6-8GB). I run 64-bit Vista and have never blue screened.

The best thing to do if you are getting BSODs is to write down the error, look it up and fix the cause of the problem. There is a Knowledge Base article online for every possible BSOD message which will tell you probable causes and fixes.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest you use Windows 7 instead of Vista. Windows 7 is more stable that Vista. It is more faster and uses less computer resources.