SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Death of the web designer?

One day you decide to offer your services as a web designer as a means to knock up not to complex sites to plumbers, hairdressers, electricians in your local area but then they turn round and say "I aint interested I can use http://www.mrsite.com/ to do the work for less"...

So i put it to the sitepoint community are these DIY solutions the begiining of the end or do they have an inherent flaw which means designers will always hold the Royal Flush.

Discuss...
    I have had a perfectly wonderful
    evening, but this wasn't it-
    Julius "GROUCHO" Marx - 1890-1977
    http://www.davidclick.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people hire designers because they don't have the time to setup and use MrSite regardless of how easy it is. They would prefer to get a professional job done and write off extra cost to expenses.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Zygoma, not even close, DIY solutions have always existed from the likes of WYSIWYG editors like FrontPage and NetObjects Fusion right down to the "idiotproof" MrSite however they have one inherent problem... software is not smart, it can do it's best to put together a website but there is no thought that goes into the process, this is a fundamental problem because you end up with heavy bloated code which is bound by the limitations by the software. A proper high quality website designer can offer a wide range of services even for the most basic of static websites such as gauranteed markup validation, the option for something which is tailored to their business needs (beyond the templates offered) and more importantly... designers who do the work properly can assist the business in ensuring their website will target their audiance, search engines, browsers and everything between accurately. No WYSIWYG editor can offer that kind of service, I have yet to see an editor which is foolproof in terms of working across all browsers, makes accessible usable websites and actually represents a business rather than being "generic junk".

Software cannot replace the human touch, our ability to see the bigger picture or our ability to refine a website which is hand crafted for that individual, I used to work as a software developer who is now a freelance designer (so I know the limitations). All you need to do is talk to the client and show them what they will get when they use you and point out the limitations of those editors... granted some people will stick with MrSite but in reality, DIY products won't gaurantee quality, and that is the ultimate reason why sensible organisations will get an expert craftsman rather than an Ikea DIY (with many screws missing) pile of wood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sooner or later, the majority of those businesses will come around and hire web designers/developers for one simple reason. They grow beyond what those type of sites can offer. They want more. They aren't happy with cookie cutter offerings. Their knowledge and understanding has to grow first though.

And frankly, if they're satisfied with Mr Site type stuff, I don't really want them as my customer any way. Nothing personal, I just know that they will end up costing me far more than I'm going to make off them.

In short, not yet. The "death of the web designer" has been greatly exaggerated.