Thread: help with build

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help with build

Hey Guys

I have a newbie question so bear with me.

How do I set up a downloadable file/e-book for customers?
    Basically - they will opt-in from an opt-in box, get an e-mail
    to confirm, once they confirm they will be taken to a down load page,
    to download book.

so...how do I set this up?

Please keep it simple, remember I am a beginner.

Also please start from the very beginning of the installation,
    where, I believe, I need to make a folder on my host server(?)

Also is this doable from within a wordpress install or would it be more secure on the server.

Thanks
    tyler12

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies, didn't mean to make you think.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why would you want to do something so obtrusive? Most people will not pass over their email address for the sake of downloading something (especially for someone who is unestablished as a credible source of information), you would be better off giving a straight forward link to the ebook and allowing them to sign up for a newsletter for your website with new information. Based on what you have posted I am guessing your experience level is pretty low, unless you are selling the ebook you have no reason to want their email address therefore don't bother asking for it.

PS: You shouldn't expect quick answers, we don't get paid to answer posts

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thanks...
    p.s. Didn't ask for your opinion on how to run my business

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Tyler,

If you put the link to the ebook on a page on your wordpress install which is only available to registered members then you could easily do this.

Basically the user would have to sign up with your wordpress installation and go through the confirmation process that you set up in the admin (you can turn confirmation emails on and off). Then they will have access to the protected page.

I'd be careful with how you word this however, as Alex mentioned - people aren't as willing to give over their email if they believe it's going to be used for 'evil', so make sure you clearly state the intention for getting them to sign in etc. and you won't have a problem.

P.S. Sarcasm / being snarky doesn't boost your chances of being helped.

Hope this provided some insight into getting your problem solved.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isn't uncommon or obtrusive. Lots of b2b companies (IBM, Oracle, Sun, etc.) required registration, including e-mail subscriptions, to download white papers. It's part of a pretty standard marketing campaign. Give something away to encourage potential customers to give you permission to contact them.

If you host the mailing list with an e-mail marketing company, they can handle all the hard work. Something like MailChimp or Aweber. They will give you the HTML to add to your site to create the subscription box, and you can set the text of the e-mail sent after confirmation. In that mail you'd put a link to the ebook, which you upload to your site as a normal file.