SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which anti-spy software is best???

I'm considering purchasing an "anti-spy" program to help me detect if/when there may be hackers, cookies, key stroke programs, or other types of programs that may be in use on my PC tracking my activities without my knowledge.

I've heard Xblock is supposed to be pretty good.

He's more company/program names that came up in my research..... Spector, KeyKey, Snapshotspy, SubSeven, Stealth Keyboard Logger, Surf Spy, Net Spy, GhostKeylogger, Pc Activity Monitor, SpyTech Shadow, PC Spy, STARR, Red Hand Pro.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which is best?
    Right now I'm leaning towards Xblock which is only $40.

Any thoughts, and/or feedback on this subject will be appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't waste my money. Invest in a firewall and be done if your that concerned. Really hackers are few and far between and unless you have a static IP its really hard to hack someone.

I would be more worried about viruses then hackers! Just my 2¢
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm all set up with virus protection & a firewall.
    The Xblock is supposed to detect any, and all applications that could ever start operating on a PC that the user didn't know about.

They say the government can put a key stroke program right past your firewall without you knowing about it. I would think this technology is available to other people besides the Justice Department & local Police.

I just wanted to hear from someone more knowledgeable than myself on programs like Xblock.

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They say the government can put a key stroke program right past your firewall without you knowing about it.
    they who ? it sound like governmental FUD to me (or is it the lone gunmen ?).
    if your firewall is set up properly, it won't let anything in or out that shouldn't. if "they" get direct access to your pc, or if "they" send out an .exe file or something that contains a trojan or a keystroke prog as malicious payload, AND said program was using ports that are open on the firewall for external communication, then maybe...
    have a look at something like zonealarm http://www.zonelabs.com that offers you some degree of control over which programs are actually allowed to connect to and from your machine. don't install anything that you're not 100% sure about. encrypt all your outgoing messages. apply patches/updates regularly. keep your virus definitions up to date. lock your computer in a room when you're not there. run tight security settings on your machine (for instance, in win2k, make sure there's no "default" users installed that have more privileges than necessary...well, this goes for any true multiuser OS, really).
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In case you haven't heard, Zone Alarm, Norton, McAfee, and most all the rest of the major companies that offer firewalls & virus protection are working with the US government to allow certain "holes" in their products for the prying eyes of law enforcment.

Eventually the knowledge of these "holes" will become available to other with more malicious intent. Maybe sooner than later.

That's why there could be the need for products like Xblock, because these guys want to expose possible government vehicles used for electronic spying because there's money in it for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and you trust them, right ? how can you be certain "their" product is safer ? unless you build everything yourself from source - that you understand and have audited for possible backdoors - using a compiler that you trust (or that you built from source yourself...chicken and egg anyone ?), you don't have any guarantee. how about your isp ? do you trust it ? how do you know they're not monitoring/taping/storing any data communication ? or the "last mile" from your home to your isp ? there might be wiretaps...
    as you can see...it's really a no-win situation. if people really WANT to, they can intercept anything that's going to and coming from your machine.
    maybe i'm a pessimist, but also a realist...
    all this imho of course, and i don't mean any offence...just pointing out the bigger picture...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I should just give up? Not even try?
    That makes no sense to my. Sorry.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no...just pointing out that you can't control all the variables involved. however, when it comes to your own system/network, you can do quite a lot (securing your whole setup as much as possible). however, as soon as you interact with the outside world/network/internet, there's no telling what goes where and who's listening.
    so...keep the systems that you HAVE full control over as tight as possible (and, to be honest, i would recommend running a separate box - with *BSD/linux/whatever - as a dedicated firewall...the software firewalls are just sub par).
    although there's no 100% security, i do believe that tried and tested open source solutions should be trusted more than some proprietary program...

SitePoint Zealot Andthensometoo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't you find it at least a bit annoying how these software makers are making such unusal claims?
    In case you haven't heard, Zone Alarm, Norton, McAfee, and most all the rest of the major companies that offer firewalls & virus protection are working with the US government to allow certain "holes" in their products for the prying eyes of law enforcment.
    Actually, this has been addressed before. You can ask the makers of some of the firewall people if they can and will detect such govt programs. If one cannot due to leagl reasons, then your Xblock can't either. There are a lot of reputable articles which show AV companies making false claims, to get you scared, so they can sell you their product.
    I'm with redux, use an open source proggy, and don't do anything you wouldn't do if your mother was going to know about it. Then, if some one 'squeaks through', they will be so bored they will fall asleep.
    In addition to using a firewall, you can reduce the chances of malicious proggys entering your PC by:
    Phsically securing it. (don't let others use your PC)
    Turn off scripting host.
    Turn off file sharing.
    Do not use instant messaging.
    Do not use an ISP that requires software to be installed.
    Use a "text only" email reader, and download only that email that you want to repsond to.

The makers of OutPost have responded to questions on the govt (or others) being able to get past their software.
    Also read zone alarms and any other firewalls claims. Do your reasearch, then if you are still freaked out enough to buy this Xblock from a company that is taking advantage of your paranoia, visit the security forums atSuggestaFix and read all you want to know by people that are not asking for your money.
    Tell you what, if Interceptor says to buy it, I will.
    "If you handle with products .. this is a word to see It"
    elvis.isnotalive.com
    My Complaint Dept
    Visit Interceptor's AV review

SitePoint Zealot Andthensometoo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

Here is what Interceptor had to say about it. Basically, just what I thought.
    Because I already have Ad Aware, Window washer, and jammer, ect., I won't be buying Xblock.
    "If you handle with products .. this is a word to see It"
    elvis.isnotalive.com
    My Complaint Dept
    Visit Interceptor's AV review