User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The search for a CMS

Hello everyone.

For the last 3 months, I have spent my time testing CMS's to find the one I want. So far I haven't found it yet. And im sure there is one out other, since the world wide web is so huge.

Now I want my CMS for a gaming community for space games (space sims).
    I tried at first Joomla. Seemed like a good option. But Joomla does not have an intergrated forum and when I tried to use a bridge, there were just too many complications. Also I am searching for a cool black/dark gray template.

I searched trought 100+ templates on many joomla sites. There are only a few dark templates and those are not good enough for joomla. So because of these 2 reasons I abandomed Joomla (not completley though).

Next I tried Drupal. Didn't like it or its forums. Also again no suitable templates.

Then on to XOOPS. Cool CMS with cool newbb forums. However no suitable style. Again.

I also tried IgamingCMS (bad template design), Typo3 (too hard to manage, no templates), e107 (looks old), phpnuke (don't like the phpbb2 forums and the way content is managed).

I really want to stop this crazy search, so thats why I'm asking here.
    I would like to be aware of a CMS with intergrated forums, intergrated or at least a style matching downloads module, gallery module, and if possible a video system (these things can be modules as long as the forums are intergrated). I want forums intergrated with CMS because of the shared users (On other CMS like Joomla, you must merge the joomla users with forum users and combine register module).

Basicly what I want is a CMS on which user is able to register and once that is done, the user has an account for everything on the website (forums, downloads, gallery, video system ...).

I am prepared to do some modifications if needed. Also my template problem. If you provide a list of CMS, I hope it has a big template database for me to find the right template.

If there is no such CMS, then please share a cool dark style for XOOPS or Joomla if you find one (if no suitable CMS is found, im gonna use XOOPS or Joomla).

Thanks a lot for reading my long post and helping me.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you looking to stay free Opensource? If it doesn't have to be free, you could try out ExpressionEngine. It has a forum module.

I doubt you'll find a free theme to suit your needs, however.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for replying. The ExpressionEngine has a downloadable free core as I saw. Is that normal or is it just a trial version? I will try it.

However I am willing to buy a theme or even make one myself so that is not an issue anymore. The issue is still the CMS.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sethernis, yes, you can use the Core version to get accustomed to the CMS itself. However, it won't be any use to you because the Forum module as well as the Member module - both of which you'll want to have - will require a personal license (if your project isn't commercial), or a commercial license (if you're planning to go that route).

If themes are not a concern to you, and you're looking for a solid CMS, I'd say, try out the EE Core version. See if you like how the system works in general.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EE's core version is fully functional for use with personal or not-for-profit sites.

For your requirement he's how EE matches:

Integrated forum - yes, you'll need a full version of EE though. The forum module is an addon module. Member access is site wide, not just for the forum area.

"Downloads" module - you don't need anything special to provide downloads. You can optionally restrict certain download to different member groups etc. There are a few addons that allow you to create download areas that are user specific.

Videos - can be added in a number of ways, either add appropriate embedding code to templates using a 3rd party player like JW, or there are a few addons, whichever works best for you!

EE is not a plug n play system so you won't find many pre-made templates. You can however use any 3rd party "theme"/skin and add the graphics/CSS into your own template.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again for your replies. Well I tested out EE Free Core and I like it. I might consider buying personal license to get all modules.

CSS and HTML is not a problem, since I am capable of coding in both of them.

Anyway just before making a decision. Is there any other CMS like EE out there?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you have already tried out most of the more complex and capable systems such as Drupal and Typo3. I have worked with all the systems you have listed, and a few more. In my view, EE is the best system of them all and the price is acceptable.

I'm not aware of a CMS that is similar to EE in the current market, though perhaps someone else is.

SitePoint Guru silver trophy JamesColin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried drupal's module nammed advanced forum? It helps improving the default forum.
    But otherwise you can use phpbb or smf forum and use a drupal's module to make the bridge as best as it can between user system of the forum and drupal.
    Do you really need traffic? Where to? What for?
    If you really do need traffic then stop messing around!
    Advertise on my sites today: She Told Me & Best Reviewer :
    200,000+ UV / Month