SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem with Visual Studio Professional 2008

When I am making my web pages in Visual Studio Professional 2008 I am having a few problems. Can anyone tell me how to fix it please?

1. When I am writing HTML code the code validation takes a really long time. When it underlines some HTML code as being incorrect it keeps it underlined for several minuets even after I have corrected the error. This makes it very hard for me to write the pages because I don't know if there is really an error or if its just lagging in validation. - Is there a way to force Visual Studio to validate my code on command? I can click a button on the toolbar that will validate my code right away? I don't have this problem when using other programming languages in Visual Studio.
    2. When I am writting HTML code Visual Studio automatically inserts closing tags every time I type an opening tag. Is there a way to turn that off? Its very annoying because normally I don't want the closing tag right away. I have to keep deleting them and then adding them where I want the tags. Almost 100% of the time it puts the closing tag in the wrong place anyway.

Thanks.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why on earth would you use Visual Studio Pro for making websites? I can understand using the IDE for ASP.NET but it isn't well equipped for generic web coding.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well its better then using Front Page and I don't like using Notepad.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    Why on earth would you use Visual Studio Pro for making websites? I can understand using the IDE for ASP.NET but it isn't well equipped for generic web coding.
    Eh? Where do you get such nonsense? (Concerning "isn't well equipped for generic web coding.") Visual Studio is more then equipped for general/generic web work.

I do not currently have VS installed at the moment but look in the Setting under Languages > HTML for any delay setting. Normally there is a delay between running real-time validation because it does require some computation which is wasted while you are changing things. Your other issue would also be located in there area I'm sure.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, VS 2005+ is about as good a HTML IDE as one can find these days. Yes, it is focused at ASP.NET sites but all that sits on top of one hell of an XML editor. CSS-wise, it is arguably the best option on the market at this point. We actually issue the express edition to the folks who need to do some light HTML editing where we don't want to spring for Creative Suite.

Anyhow, I'm not certain what you could do about #1--VS puts validation on the back burner so as to not overwhelm the PC. I didn't see any related settings. You can manually fire validation from the editor.

For #2, browse to the HTML node under the Text Editor in the options, choose format and uncheck Auto Insert Close Tag.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Visual Studio Pro. I can just add new HTML pages and it lets you change the HTML with color coding and you can view the page right in the IDE for a quick look. Plus you get the use the debugger when you type something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by wwb_99 View Post
    Anyhow, I'm not certain what you could do about #1--VS puts validation on the back burner so as to not overwhelm the PC. I didn't see any related settings. You can manually fire validation from the editor.
    How can you manually use the validation from the code editor? I don't see a button or command for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wwb_99 View Post
    For #2, browse to the HTML node under the Text Editor in the options, choose format and uncheck Auto Insert Close Tag.
    Ok, I will try to turn off that option. Thanks. A lot of time I write my content or paragraph first and then go back and add the formatting tags when I'm done. I type the content in Word a lot of times to check for spelling then copy it into notepad, then into Visual Studio. But then when I go back and add the formatting tags it keeps putting the closing tags in random places. Its annoying deleting them all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting, playing around with WebDev it feels a bit clunky and resource heavy for my liking (perhaps it's because I have express on this machine rather than the integrated solution), though I must say for the moment I prefer a lightweight rich text editor... but I can see why it might be liked as a FrontPage alternative.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, playing around with WebDev it feels a bit clunky and resource heavy for my liking (perhaps it's because I have express on this machine rather than the integrated solution), though I must say for the moment I prefer a lightweight rich text editor... but I can see why it might be liked as a FrontPage alternative.
    The professional edition is a lot better. I use to use the express editions. But when I started my college program my school has an agreement with microsoft and we got Visual Studio 2008 .Net Professional, Microsoft Office Enterprise, Microsoft Project, Microsoft Visio and Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended all for free. My instructor gave me all the stuff on my first day of class. As long as you don't drop out or fail, you don't have to pay for the software.

So I have been using the new stuff for the first time and its a lot better. I think Visual Studio is better because it will tell you where your errors are, on the exact line and exact place. So you don't have to search HTML for a missing closing tag or something. It will show you right where its at.

Also, it uses good HTML, it uses <div> instead of <table> and it also follows W3C standards in all of its produced HTML. If your code doesn't follow the standards it will give you errors by default.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like your college had a MSDN subscription

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure. We all got the software on a DVD-R. It was burned by the IT department. Each disc came with a letter from Microsoft saying that it was a legal copy and the school has permission to duplicate the master DVD for students enrolled in the program and a number to call Microsoft if you had any questions.

The Adobe Photoshop was a normal retail DVD.

It was really nice though. It saved me 2 or 3 thousand dollars.