SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Website maintenance

I do everything required to maintain passportcanada.com. I choose content, design and update the site. I basically know the website inside out, i got its sitemap printed in my mind.

Due to recent changes in immigration laws, I've had to update quite a huge chunk of the site [and still doing it] and it has been quite a hassle.

I was just wondering if you guys have any specific way you arrange the files on your websites [like keeping all pics in a folder, all JS in another etc etc] or simply tips on easy management of websites.

Also, for sitepoint articles, if first page is
    http://www.ecommercebase.com/article/123

the next page is
    http://www.ecommercebase.com/article/123/58
    or some other random number instead of 58.

Anyone can explain that to me?

any input will be appreciated
    thanks
    asT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a good rule of thumb to keep similar items together. For example, when I build a site, the structure always looks the same.

I have the main folder (the "root)

root (this folder contains all of my actual HTML, PHP or Cold Fusion files.)
    ---- images (this folder contains all site images)
    ---- fragments (this folder contains my javascript code, my included files and my CSS files)
    ---- data (If I'm using Access for a site, the database goes in this folder)
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JS files

Using Javascript files can save you changing common information. For example your site navigation at the bottom of your page. Create a file called "navLinks.js" and put this in:

Code:
    document.write("<div align=\"center\"><font face=\"Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif\" size=\"-1\">");
    document.write("     <a href=\"index.htm\">Home<\/a> ");
    document.write("    | <a href=\"process.htm\">Process<\/a> | <a href=\"indep.htm\">Categories<\/a> ");
    document.write("    | <a href=\"appeals.htm\">Appeals<\/a> | <a href=\"resources.htm\">Resources<\/a> ");
    document.write("    | <a href=\"faq.htm\">FAQ<\/a> | <a href=\"assess.htm\">Assessment<\/a> ");
    document.write("    | <a href=\"search.htm\">Search<\/a> | <a href=\"confidential.htm\">Confidentiality<\/a> ");
    document.write("    | <a href=\"mailto:info@passportcanada.com\">Contact<\/a><\/font>");
    document.write("<\/div>");
    document.close();

Save the file, then replace the entire DIV(of your nav links) with this:

<script Language="JavaScript" src="navLinks.js"></script>

Now replace this on all pages and if you ever need to change the bottom Navigation links you'll only need to change the JS file once.

This is just an example but you might have common information that changes more frequently. I doubt you'll need to change the bottom navigation links any time soon.
    Last edited by ThomasAesir; Jun 12, 2002 at 09:06.
    Thomas Oeser - Blueprint Software
    Web Scripting Editor v 5.2 One cool Web editing tool.
    3dcomputergraphics.com Coming Soon!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the following layout for my files:

- Root: containing my index file, and all those that don't fit into a special category, such as about pages.
    -- Images: containing all the images, the stylesheet and when needed a file containing Javascript
    -- Subfolders: folders for certain categories on the site, such as articles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: JS files

Originally posted by ThomasAesir
    Using Javascript files can save you changing common information. For example your site navigation at the bottom of your page.
    Not a good idea to depend on javascript for includes. It's browser based which means that it's possible to turn off. Better to use SSI (server side incldues), PHP, ASP, Cold Fusion or other Server side languages for this task. Since it's all done server side, the client simply gets back plain HTML.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Re: JS files

Originally posted by creole

Not a good idea to depend on javascript for includes. It's browser based which means that it's possible to turn off. Better to use SSI (server side incldues), PHP, ASP, Cold Fusion or other Server side languages for this task. Since it's all done server side, the client simply gets back plain HTML.
    This is true if you're on an ASP/PHP/SSI/ColdFusion/whatever enabled server. If you're on a free server that supports none of these technologies (in which case you should change the server, but that's another story), JS is the way to go. Altough I find the server-side solution better.
    zweistein.web - tips&tricks for webmasters, music, programming, computers, Python, etc. new!!! English version, too!
    email | ICQ: 161202879 | AIM: zweistein2169

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zweistein...

Didn't say that Javascript wasn't an acceptable method, just that it is not the ideal solution. If, for some reason, a user has javascript turned off and you're including your navigation with it, then they are screwed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better yet if you have Dreamweaver or Golive these programs will do all this for you. Make one change and tell it what pages to also change.
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by creole
    zweistein...

Didn't say that Javascript wasn't an acceptable method, just that it is not the ideal solution. If, for some reason, a user has javascript turned off and you're including your navigation with it, then they are screwed.
    I completely agree with that... And I said nothing against it .
    zweistein.web - tips&tricks for webmasters, music, programming, computers, Python, etc. new!!! English version, too!
    email | ICQ: 161202879 | AIM: zweistein2169

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Build your site base on a template - so that pages are uniform in layout and navigation. Dreamweaver does that well .. then you can always updated hundreds of pages easily.

Or use a content management system .. which takes out all the coding. All you need is fill in a form and submit.