SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For developers who use wordpress for their clients's sites

Hi I am using wordpress to develop new websites for clients, would like some advice on how to go about udpates to wordpress itself and plugins. Obviously it is good to have Wordpress always updated, most importantly for security issues, but what is the best way to go about it, have the clients aware about it and asking them to update themselves, or setting some sort of maintenance agreement that involves me updating their sites periodically (including plugins) and making sure everything works well?

In the case of choosing to update the site themselves, I would also envisage the update of some plugin which could break the site's functionality, and the client could ask me to fix it for him and expect me to do it for free, a situation which I'd like to avoid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the agreement is that you are the one in charge of updating worpress then make sure that service includes making sure plugins are updated and work correctly.

If the client does not want you to update their site make sure they know the possible security issues, and if they plan to update themselves make it clear that any issues that arise from that activity are the sole responsibility of the client and you're not obliged to solve it (or a new service order/contract will be required).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be brutally honest, and I'll probably get flamed for this, but I just leave them be. It runs the risk, but as a developer with a few hundred clients, ask yourself this - is it more cost effective to be proactive (update the blogs with patches & plugins every time there's an update), rather than reactive (fix the one blog that gets hacked when it does)

Of course, install something like WP Backup to make backups of the database and email them to you EVERY DAY, and keep the code on your local machine. It's one of those horrible situations. You know it should be updated, but chances are many of your clients won't pay for it. I find it far more useful and profitable to be reactive than proactive.

I hate it to.

Of course, base everything around 1 installation of Wordpress MU and everything is fine
    I'm Rhys Wynne & I blog at Winwar Media
    WP Email Capture: Free Email/Ebook Marketing Wordpress Plugin
    UK Based SEO? Tweet Your Location to #ukseohere!
    | My Brand New Brand | Twitter |

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I really should look into Wordpress MU in more detail, what are the pros and cons of using MU vs new wordpress for each client?