SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time estimations ... not sure where this forum should go?

Are there any good guides out there for estimating front end development and design work? I'm constantly getting asked to do this, and I'm more or less clueless about it until I start doing the actual job.

Most times the numbers I come up with look excessive (much to the annoyance of my manager) but if I don't estimate long time periods the job can get really stressful and rushed.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

This is actually a tricky thing, more is your experience more close your estimation will be. How I do is I evaluate the exact time it might take depending upon various things that needs to be done and then I add a buffer of 10% to and quote it to my manger….. J

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

~Maneet
    Maneet Puri
    Lexolution IT Services

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It may annoy the manager (possibly long times make the company lose bids?) but customers like getting things at an earlier time than what was expected : )

I figure after you've seen how long certain chunks of design and coding take, your numbers become more accurate simply from experience.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main problem is that my manager just doesn't like hearing about it. I try and expalin that this is just "how long it takes".

For example, the latest example is that he wants a web-based PHP application built that allows the client to use a simple WYSYWIG-editor to fill in "blocks" of content in an email template. They can choose from 3 different email templates which are "mostly" already made. My estimation was that in our team of 2-people (one front-end and one back-end) it would take 3-4 weeks including design, implementation, testing etc. He promptly told me in his last job, one guy did the same thing in 3 days.

In retrospect, my estimation was probably too long. 2-3 weeks may have been more realistic. But keep in mind this involves ensuring that all the "email templates" work in all mail clients and they won't break with expanding content, etc. and then the front-end design and implentation of the application and then the back-end PHP coding that puts it all together.

What do you guys think? I got a little annoyed and asked him to provide the details of the system that one guy built in a few days so we could use it or learn from it. He apparantly no longer has access to it.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xgoannax View Post
    He promptly told me in his last job, one guy did the same thing in 3 days.
    Tell him you don't plan on cutting corners or cheating the client out of a good quality product, and as he isn't a developer he isn't qualified to determine how much time it requires. If he wants the work done its either to a high standard or not at all because your not going to compromise your integrity for the sake of a quick turnaround. It's better to look after clients than push as many through as possible, especially if you want them to return and not complain about your service.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    Tell him you don't plan on cutting corners or cheating the client out of a good quality product, and as he isn't a developer he isn't qualified to determine how much time it requires. If he wants the work done its either to a high standard or not at all because your not going to compromise your integrity for the sake of a quick turnaround. It's better to look after clients than push as many through as possible, especially if you want them to return and not complain about your service.
    Well it's a permanent client, and a very, very big brand. So it's not about shoving them out the door as quickly as possible. But yeah, I understand your point. The problem is that explaining stuff like that results in a grumpy manager who thinks I'm dodging work. Especially if he really believes that one guy in his last office did the same job - essentially building a content management system - in a couple of days.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You could always say it could be done in less time... if he hired some additional staff to help you out