SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Green Reseller Hosting

I'm thinking about diving into the world of web host reselling to host my clients web sites and help produce some residual income for myself

I have been comparing companies and their reselling plans for weeks now and am looking for some professional advice.

After searching through the forum I find a lot of designers and developers recommending hostgator

I like the looks of the plans offered by Green Geeks, you can find a rundown of their packages here: greenresellerwebhosting dot com

I like the unlimited disk space and bandwidth offered with every package and of course the green factor... however they do limit the number of domains you can host with each package.

I can't help to wonder if the unlimited diskspace and bandwidth is even necessary with the limited hosted domains and of course tech support for my clients is of vital importance

Anyways, what do you guys think?

If you use a reseller or hypothetically you were to use a reseller, who would you choose?
    Last edited by Matt Mickiewicz; Feb 13, 2012 at 17:13.

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

First, make up your mind whether you want to be a host (VPS or dedicated; managed or self-maintained) or a middleman (reseller or shared).

Those recommending hostgator are generally the latter where you will share the server with others (there are too many inherent problems with that for me) and your greenresellerwebhosting appears to be the same thing (they make their money from the increased number of domains - which is essentially 'free' to them).

There are MANY threads here which discuss the simple fact that "unlimited" is technically not possible. It's simply a marketing ploy which should make you look at how they limit accounts (CPU usage is the primary limiting factor).

After that, check the reliability of your hosting options as their packages should be similar. Check the support, too, as YOU will be responsible to your clients for THEIR (client and host) problems.

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should start with a basic reseller plan on LINUX platform as this is most preferred though Windows is not bad at all but less clients are opting Windows hosting. Secondly migration is easy if you go for cPanel/WHM hosting. This is cheap as well. Limited/Unlimited are almost the same thing. Unlimited means almost unmetered or the provide the services as much as required. This word gives only the peace of mind as your account will not be suspended if you cross the limit. if someone providing unlimited space and restricting the number of domains, then you can understand his limits.

Good luck and best regards,

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hosting with cpanel at hostgator is very much reliable. reseller plans of hostgator are also good. At hostgator you will definitely get for what you pay.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the unlimited disk space and bandwidth offered with every package and of course the green factor... however they do limit the number of domains you can host with each package.

I can't help to wonder if the unlimited diskspace and bandwidth is even necessary with the limited hosted domains and of course tech support for my clients is of vital importance
    If they would be offering unlimited space and transfer, and unlimited domains, with their reseller hosting, they would be downright mad. It's one thing to offer that to one person, for his limited needs, and a whole other thing to allow people to resell off such an account.

In any case, what you'll get will very likely be in line with what you pay. The less you pay, the less you should expect, simple as that.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your advice guys.

So I should probably just go with hostgator... they're semi green too i believe

anyone familiar with their tech support, I dont want to be bombarded with emails from my clients if there is issues with their server

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone familiar with their tech support, I dont want to be bombarded with emails from my clients if there is issues with their server
    From my experience, HG has quite a good uptime, though I'm sure they have their jinxed servers as well. As for support, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Hostgator, as most reseller hosting providers out there, does not provide end-user support. It is your job to support your customers. So, unfortunately, if something bad would happen, you would have to keep your customers up-to-date.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reseller accounts were designed to be resold. Some of web hosting companies can offer support for the end users of you. So do your best in finding such web hosting solution. I believe you need to have support on the first stage maybe soon you will be able to take care of them personally
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting