SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shared vs individual hosting

Is there any reason to have each website on a seperate hosting account(security/optimization etc).

I am with enom and I have bandwidth of 200gb a month for a pretty low price -basically nothing. So at the moment I have 4 websites on this hosting package, each one limited to 50gb bandwidth a month. At the moment I get a couple of visitors a day on each, and when I get more I can upgrade the bandwidth as much as I need to(but even if I didnt upgrade, this 50gb a month would allow me 50,000 visitors downloading 1mb each). My question is, is there any reason to move each site to a seperate hosting package? It is easier to manage all the sites from a single hosting account but I wonder if there is a security issue(like if one site gets hacked they might all go down), or maybe databases would run faster or something?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is easier to manage all the sites from a single hosting account but I wonder if there is a security issue(like if one site gets hacked they might all go down), or maybe databases would run faster or something?
    Yes, having each site on its own end user account can be of some protection. A reseller account would typically be a cost effective solution.

Hosting the accounts on different servers would reduce the chances of having all your sites down at the same time.

Putting the sites on different servers would not by itself ensure better performance for your sites. It may however help you make comparisons and find a really good hosting environment.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

If you have different accounts on different servers, it can be difficult for you to manage all the accounts, however, when it comes to benefits, there are some.

Different accounts will make your websites more secured and most probably, all the websites won't be down at the same time. Also, if your websites are setup on different servers which have different IP's, this can help you in search engine optimization if all your websites are linked with each other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean about seo for sites accross multiple servers. Do you mean if if I have sites on the same server and link them, the search engines can tell the same person(s) owns these sites and does not cross-rank them as well if it thought they were owned by different people(with sites on different accounts on different servers)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that`s true .. if you have more then one hosting you will be able to see what hosting it`s better but I don`t think if you use one hoting for more sites will work better

can you tell me what hosting companies do you use? I want to take a new hosting plan .. actually I have fatcow ... I am satisfied but I want to try something new .. thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use enom. I think they are slightly more expensive than others. Let me just check.
    Enom starter pack 20gb storage and 200gb bandwidth = $5.96/month
    Godaddy starter pack 10gb storage and 300gb bandwidth = $4.99/month

Enom is usually slightly more than other hosts in cost, but the bandwidth is decent and the storage is sometimes even more generous, they also offer lots of upgrade options.

The reason I chose Enom was because I trust them entirely and their support is excellent. They pretty much always reply within 24 (or 48 very very rarely)hours with a decent answer. Even if I ask completley random stuff which isn't their problem and is in fact a local issue, they always do their best to help me out and are polite. Also if it is an issue on their side, by the time I get their email, they have usually solved my issue, by fixing something on my account, or telling me I am doing the wrong thing and giving me instructions on how to do it. I always get the feeling I am talking to someone who knows what they are doing(someone one of the hosting technicians as opposed to an aspiring taxi driver in india who wanted a temp job so some webhost hired them to answer emails and stall people). I have heard a lot of horror stories about terrible support on other hosts like hostgator and godaddy. Not saying if you go with those you will have a bad experience, but there is a chance, I believe that chance is greatly reduced with Enom, not that I take any responsibility if you do choose enom and have a bad experience for some reason so dont sue me.

Another good host I have used is Spry, who if I remember right specialize in vps. I think I stopped using them because I registered my domains with enom, so that made it simpler. Also enom domains are a bit more costly, but I am willing to pay a few more dollars a year knowing my domains and sites are in good hands.

Take a look at the enom and godaddy wikipedia pages.

In the end it is up to you, you have my reccommendation though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cyjetsu View Post
    I use enom. I think they are slightly more expensive than others. Let me just check.
    Enom starter pack 20gb storage and 200gb bandwidth = $5.96/month
    Godaddy starter pack 10gb storage and 300gb bandwidth = $4.99/month
    the point is to think 1st what you will use on your site ... if you want to make a tube site for eg you will need a higher space and bandwitch ..

if you just simply want to use a blog or a forum you don`t need more themm 10 G but you need hundreds or tousands of Gb Bandwitch ..

it`s really hard to see what hosting will you choose if you don`t know what to do with that and what your site will be about...

unlimited does not exist .. EVER ... unlimited it`s somethink fake that the hosting companies are cheating on people without they to know ...

there are tons of **** with some description about the unlimited word means ...

for eg .. ) i bought a hosting from fatcow =)) **** hosting but it`s good for small sites

so my prblem with them : I go to talk to them in chat and ask some questions .. and I ask if I want to store some archivez .zip or .rar am I able to use them server? they say yes .. after that I told them that I will make a rapidshare site ) and they said no because all files must be linked to my site ... and the ideea is that a rapidshare site have all the files linked to the main site .. ) so I closed them mouth ..

after one month I wanted to start a small tube site for my club with videos from fly practices and other people to be able to share them video too .. I ask them if i can use the hosting for that .. thay said absolutelly no because I will use to much space and bandwitch .. and I said .. I Bought an unlimited hosting plan so I can host all the sites all over the world .. even google youtube yahoo hi5 and so on because it`s unlimited )

and again I closed their mouth .. so you must be very carefull when you buy a hosting plan .. I will go from now for a limited plan but with the posibility to upgrade my space and bandwitch

good luck with choosing your hosting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also when you choose a hosting plan be sure that the support service it`s very good ...
    fat cow have a great support service .. but a **** hosting plan .. lot`s of restrictions .. and the control panel i really don`t like it ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Godaddy claims to have an unlimited hosting plan. Another reason I would rather trust enom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Godaddy claims to have an unlimited hosting plan. Another reason I would rather trust enom.
    this is a marketing method to get next to them fullish people who think that unlimited means unlimited .. and don`t read about that unlimited word and ask other people and research about them services

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah.. you can trust any hosting company but not godaddy. they have the poor support for customers.