SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast MelissaMiller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Vending machine" on web site

I'm kind of a "hobby" web designer using Dreamweaver. A client wants a web site where he can sell his comic books. He sends me the books, I scan them and put in word format, and then upload a copy to LuLu for folks to purchase. He wants to know if I can make it so that a customer clicks a buy-now button, and then has automatic access to a particular book. I explained that this would be beyond the scope of my expertise, but that I'd post here and see what you all had to say about it. When I sell my own book from my site, I use lulu, or send them an e-mail with the book in word format when I have time, but he doesn't want that hassle. Any ideas?

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK, the documentation at Lulu is horrible, but did you try looking in the widgets?
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, but I will look at this "widgets", thank you. What do you mean, by the way, "documentation", do you mean the quality of the work I'm uploading to LuLu?

As usual, thanks, I LOVE this site and forum, and all the books I've gotten from here.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    MelissaMiller, I think Dave means the documentation for LuLu is poor quality (as in the support documentation they provide), I have not used them myself but after looking at their website I would agree with what he says, it does seem pretty bare bones though it does feel almost like CafePress.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    MelissaMiller, I think Dave means the documentation for LuLu is poor quality (as in the support documentation they provide), I have not used them myself but after looking at their website I would agree with what he says, it does seem pretty bare bones though it does feel almost like CafePress.

That's exactly what I meant. There's little to no documentation provided from lulu.com without being signed up for their service. Can't say that endears me if I can't find out their capabilities without having to sign up first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I use LuLu for my how-to-mosaic book, it works ok but they take a fair chunk of my profits. These comic book fellas, they want to know if I can set up my web site to dispense them. Looking at Widgets, not finding much, but just started searching and not really even sure what search-term to use. I tried, "sell print materials from my web site", and varieties of that, guess I'd better just settle in and do some long searching...

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are they looking to print the books, or just sell an electronic version of the books? If it's just an electronic version, then you could use any shopping cart app (your host might have one that is recommended/has an install process for...).

If it's a print version they want to sell, then there's not a whole lot you can do unless you (or they) can find a local printer to work a deal out with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They want to be able to just let people download the books electronically. They want to use Godaddy, so maybe I'll check and see what they've got in the way of a shopping cart app. They were trying to avoid that due to expense, and their realistic (thank god) expectation that there's not going to be a whole lot of money made on this project...