SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happend to findmyhosting

I remember that a few years ago one could use findmyhosting to really compare different hosting packages, see user comments and ratings, etc. Nowadays this useful service is reduce to just showing top 10 services. One wonders how they chose these top 10...

Anyway, the weirdest thing is that most hosting comparison sites are likes this! What the heck happened ?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That transformation is indeed sad. The site fell into "disrepair" for a while now though. AFAIK the owner couldn't be reached as he once could. I guess he either sold the site (my bet is on that) or he decided that the old way just wasn't sustainable and profitable enough.

Anyway, the weirdest thing is that most hosting comparison sites are likes this! What the heck happened ?
    From my POV, nothing. That's how it always was, just that now there are a lot more hosting reviews sites out there.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are still a few good review sites that go beyond the top 10 rankings, the problem is that I don't tend to trust those top 10 systems, they are almost always influenced by a host (I know of cases where the host paid the site off to give it the no1 spot).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many websites on the internet where you will find reviews about the hosting provider, however, it is recommended that one does not choose a hosting provider based on reviews only as most of the reviews are not correct and the website is hosted on the server of the hosting provider or the website owner is paid to post a good review by the hosting provider.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So... if I get this right, there is no more descent hosting comparison services anymore ?

I don't trust top-10 and reviews, but actually the old findmyhosting was very close to being perfect...

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sure there are, you just have to look, one quick Google returned these...

All of them have top 10 reviews but also have complete lists of companies, plenty of user reviews, awards, etc

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe you cannot believe to top lists as they are created by the rule who converts the more gets the place on the top list. But on those sites you can get plenty of users reviews. Some of them won't be honest but if you dig enough you'll get the point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sedmi View Post
    I believe you cannot believe to top lists as they are created by the rule who converts the more gets the place on the top list. But on those sites you can get plenty of users reviews. Some of them won't be honest but if you dig enough you'll get the point.
    I agree/ Most of the reviews are moderated there and I have to admit that 99.9% of the reviews there are honest
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have good betwork of the different and related web sites. I suppose they dedided to leave that and switch to another projects

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's indeed true and sad that it's hard to come by an honest web host review site. All top 10 web hosts sites are full of ads, fake reviews and fake ratings driven by affiliate payouts. But there are still some reliable web host review sites out there if search hard enough.
    Honest Web Host Reviews - Check Web Hosting
    Over 1700 Web Host. Pure user reviews.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If honest web review sites are hard to find, I wonder how good their statistics are. The point being that in order to be useful, such host review site has to be popular enough.