SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opinions about Awardspace

I'm using Awardspace right now, but cannot say that I'm completely happy with them, mostly because of the downtime issues. It is up pretty much 99% of the time as they claim, but there are some issues with mysql database latency which from time to time make my site inaccessible, even thought the server is actually up.

Anybody else using this service ?

Any better recommendations ?

P.S. I'm talking about Awarspace paid, not free service

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd recommend hostgator, for free hosting, you can check out doteasy

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes, the load of the shared server causes these kind of problems as some of the hosting providers keep hundreds of accounts on the server and the configuration of the server is not enough to carry the load on it.

I would suggest you to consider a hosting provider offering limited disk space and bandwidth as this problem usually occurs with hosting providers who claim to offer unlimited disk space and bandwidth.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Nelson View Post
    I would suggest you to consider a hosting provider offering limited disk space and bandwidth as this problem usually occurs with hosting providers who claim to offer unlimited disk space and bandwidth.
    Interesting point, 10x

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thing is, if the host offers 1Tb of space and 10Tb of data transfer for $10, they're in fact selling unlimited hosting, even if they don't call it that. I'd argue that's true even for 50GB with 500GB data transfer, and even lower. So "limited" is not enough of a criterion.

The real limit relates to money. One should take a look at the costs of a decent dedicated server and not expect a 1/3rd of it for 1/100th of the price.

Even then, a good overselling host will not allow the service to degrade (uptime ,server performance), and will suspend any customer's account that puts those in jeopardy. Anything else is poor server management and a poor business decision.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any better recommendations ?
    Just look through the links in the Dan's signature
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting