SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do XHTML pages rank better than HTML-pages?

I designed my site with Online Coupon Codes with HTML.
    But i added some more pages in XHTML pages.
    Should include XHTML pages while i Hosting my site, which gives better page rank.

Can any one suggest me which one gives better performance.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If by rank you mean search engine rankings, it won't make any difference. Also note that XHTML served with a text/html MIME type will be served as if it were HTML (albeit with errors), so unless you're prepared to deal with it, you might be best off sticking to HTML 4.01 Strict. Also note that your choice of DOCTYPE and language syntax won't affect your Google PageRank -- only the quality, quantity and relevance of pages that link back to yours will.

(That being said, if you wish to use XHTML, you're certainly entitled to do so. It's your right after all.)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, as far as I know, the programming language used for the website does not effect the rankings of website in search engines and the most important thing to get good rankings is content. If the content of your website is good, you will definitely get good rankings and building backlinks will be easier for you which will help you to get good rankings in search engines and more PR for your website which is also important in terms of Google which is considered to be the best search engine

Hence, you can build your website in any programming language of your choice, however, when it comes to sitemap of your website, you can make it in XHTML which would be a better option.

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, XHTML or HTML doesn't matter for search engine rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by whitelee5 View Post
    however, when it comes to sitemap of your website, you can make it in XHTML which would be a better option.
    I suspect you may be referring to XML sitemaps rather than XHTML. Google recognizes XML sitemaps in a specific format, but that's not to say that an HTML/XHTML sitemap for normal users is any different than any other page.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn