SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Web Design In Exchange For Products/Services

I haven't designed a website a professional basis before and now is a difficult time to get started - I've been reading how some designers are barely breaking even - so it got me thinking! There is a large golf club near me but there website it quite dated and it's stamped 2004. I'm quite confident that I could improve but if the golf club had the money they probably would have done. So I could offer to design their website in exchange for a year or six-month pass to their golf club.

What are peoples thoughts on designing website in exchange for products or services?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a good deal, if you can talk them into it. :-) Just make sure that you have a contract in writing to say what exactly you will receive in exchange for the work on the website.

I've done the same in the past, exchanged my web design services for services that the client provided... was a good deal for both of us!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also tell them that you will do a partial cash and partial trade or give them a 30% off coupon.

I do trades sometimes, the thing you have to be careful of is a lot of people don’t really value a website and will try to trade you virtually nothing for one.

Craigslist has a trade section I have done some good trades from that and got stuff and services I normally wouldn’t be able to afford. I also got a lot of inquires from people try to get a site for nothing.. tarot card reading, skateboard lesson, used ski boots etc. A lot of people are trying to trade for site because they can’t afford one but a lot of people have no value for one.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is nothing wrong with working for goods and services, as long as what they are offering is the kind of thing you are interested in using (you don't want someone paying you in cookies!). I once did some work for someone who didn't have much cash but gave me some Amazon vouchers for the work back when I wasn't working at this full time, I used the vouchers on some great new reading material so it all worked out well