SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Accessible DDM's: positioning:absolute vs display:none

I have a pure CSS/html-based drop down menu that works by offsetting the menu contents by an insanely high em#, and then bringing them back into view with position:absolute when the menu is hovered over. I made this menu a long time ago, and I think I used this particular method because I read somewhere that the OTHER method of using display:none might cause the menu to be hidden from a screen reader. The only problem I've run into with my current menu is that tabbing doesn't work with it if you are trying to tab by sight. (Although, it is my understanding that tabbing DOES work with the display:none method).
    Is there a way to make tabbing work with the method I am using right now without using js? Should I switch to display:none? Or is there some other compromise between the two that would be better? Ideally, I would like my menu to be accessible to both tabbing and screen readers.

Now, I currently do have my menu set up so that the parent menu items are links themselves, and can be clicked to bring up a page with a list of the sublinks (I did this so that in case the drop down failed to work for someone, they could still access the sublinks). I don't know if this was a good idea or a bad idea, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

~Seij

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't messed with dropdown menus in about a year, but I do remember making the submenus visible when their parent nested list item was accessed. Unfortunately, I can't remember the code I used, which is on one of my old hard drives. (I had to switch to a laptop after both my desktops AND my personal Web server died on me.)