SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Can I use both CMYK and Pantone In Printing?

I am printing a book cover, and have delt with pantone only and cmyk printing.

The front background will be in key black and the forground will be white with pantone metallic red P8883
    The back will have a white background with a picture of the author and some key black text.

Am I able to use both CMYK(Process) and Pantone In Printing?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you printing offset? I haven't printed offset in 6 years and my memory is fuzzy. But someone can correct me if I am wrong - I am guessing that if you add one Pantone colour in your file of all CMYK, then there is some prepress preparation in order. Also, I believe that it would be treated as a 5th colour. Because you have CMYK + Pantone.

Who is preparing the film for your print job? You can talk to your pre-press agency and they will give you the guidance you need. When a pre-press agency prepares your file they extract CMYK onto four individual films (negatives). Any other special colours have to be marked and will use it's own film - a 5th film/colour. These films are then taken to the printer and are prepared for the machine.

Needless to say, 5 colour and more are expensive and are tricky. You have to talk to your pre-press agent in order to not mess up an expensive print job.

That is my theory based off of a fuzzy memory. Don't take my word for it, I could be wrong.

Bottom line is you can. It is possible, but make sure you follow the right process.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use both pantone and cmyk but it will be more expensive to add the pantone. Pantone colors are mixed precisely and usually have to be ordered, unless your printer happens to have an overstock of the Pantone you wish to use. You can get very close using CMYK with some colors and keep the cost down. Your best bet is to call your printer and ask for a quote with and without the Pantone; better yet, ask to e-mail a .jpg of the cover for a quote so the printer can see exactly what is involved with your project.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You, deseynerseye & conradical

I have sent away a quote to my printer, over a large print job it shouldn't be much of a difference.

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy Slackr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arrived too late to be any use, but I agree with the responses above.