6 100.00%
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Way to learn Web Design

Hi,
    For a newbie what would the best approach to learn web design.
    1. Jump in Approach: Look for inspirations on the web and make at least 5 design mockup in photoshop.
    2. Reading Books: First start with reading books from sitepoint and gradually start the process of web design.

Please share your experiences.

Thanks
    Ashish

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, Ashish,
    Were it me, I would start with a combination: I would go look at sites from a particular industry (i.e., real estate, ISPs, web designers, etc.) and see how things are laid out and combined with color, then compare that to what I found in e-books or textbooks. I would also visit Web Pages That Suck website and see what should NOT be done design-wise. This site has been around approx. 15 years and has seen many ideas that just plain don't work and discusses them. You may also want to track down a web site that can give you color options to harmonize a color you want to use on your web pages. I like using Color Scheme Designer. Best of luck!

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ashishmittal, firstly... web design is about learning to code effectively and with agility so that everything fits together and looks visually pleasing, photoshop is a graphic design (not web design) tool... don't confuse them. As for leaning to build websites I would recommend reading on the subject and building example sites as you learn, you can really produce a great portfolio experimenting with the knowledge you get in books and articles and online resources.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Web design is a combination of the layout created in either Photoshop or Fireworks and then taking that design comp into a HTML editor and marking it up into a website.

So for me, your major first step would be to learn html and css :-)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best way to learn something is practical work.

Make a visual concept of your desired web design or web development project,
    it could be on peace of paper or in some computer software,

and than find tools you need to make it.

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy AndrewCooper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although others have already given great responses I'd like to add my bit .

The way I see it theres Web Design, which is designing the visual side whether it be the layout and colours and / or just the production of the design in a graphics editing package. Then you have to create it as a Web page using HTML / XHTML, CSS and sometimes JavaScript which I see as Front-End Web Development. As the SitePoint Books put it, they also split Web Design Principles and topics into the actual layout and visual components and the creation into the HTML / XHTML and CSS into another book because you'll often have designers and coders seperately.

Therefore if you want to learn Web Design, I would suggest reading SitePoint's The Principles of Beautiful Web Design and Sexy Web Design as they are brilliant books. I would also suggest taking a look at Web Pages That Suck and CSS Zen Garden. Then, after getting a feel for existing designs try having a go yourself in your preferred graphics editing application at creating the design mockups. If you are using Adobe Photoshop then a great book for learning the basic tools in Photoshop is Corrie Hafflys' The Photoshop Anthology: 101 Web Design Tips, Tricks & Techniques - PDF Only also from SitePoint.

On the other hand, if you want to design and create Websites then you'll also need the knowledge of HTML and CSS. For this I would suggest going through Ian Lloyd's Build Your Own Web Site The Right Way Using HTML & CSS, 2nd Edition, also from SitePoint. [You might have noticed by now, SitePoint, in my opinion, publish fantastic books!]

After doing either or both of those then I'd say you're ready to go out and create some fairly professionally designed and coded Websites. Goodluck to you and you know where to go for support and help in your journey to becoming a professional Web Designer .

All the best,

Andrew Cooper

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    Thanks for your valuable suggestions. I have started with Head First XHTML/CSS book.

I hope that will provide me enough knowledge to start knowing web design .

Thanks
    Ashish