SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Execute Function on Current Item

I have this code which removes a class from an item on mouse out.

Code:
    function mouseOut8( ) {
    $('.bar8')
    .removeClass("barover");
    }
    I would like to change this so that the class is removed from the item I have just moused out of instead of specifying the exact item. This is so I can use this function for multiple items. I tried replacing the '.bar8' with 'this' but it didn't work.

Thanks.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $(this).removeClass("barover");

really should work.

If it doesn't, give use the details of how you registered this function as an event handler for the mouseout event.

SitePoint Addict Zarin Denatrose's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a1anm may have used $('this'), passing this as a string to be searched as a css selector, not a javascript object.
    The problem with just going $(this).removeClass("barover"); though is that it's going to apply to everything the mouse touches. What strikes me as troublesome is this:
    I would like to change this so that the class is removed from the item I have just moused out of instead of specifying the exact item.
    What you should do is use the class as a general selector for the elements affected, then target the specific element when needed. Furthermore, for a full hover effect, you can make use of the jquery hover class. There's an example below, the first function is mouseover, the second is mouseout.

Code:
    $('.bar').hover(
    function(e){$(e.target).addClass('barover')},
    function(e){$(e.target).removeClass('barover')}
    );