SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Unhappy retail product image for supermarket client

    i have searched a lot in vain..
    where can i get retail product image for supermarket client?
    for example gillette razor,pepsi,Lays,Coke...etc?
    the online store should show these images..

    how do big players get product images..like electronics...etc.
    example..circ city...
    are there any laws governing usage of these images if at all am able to get them!
    help!!!!!!

  2. #2
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big players contact the manufactures of the products they sell and they provide them with the images. You should do the same for your client.

  3. #3
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do the manufacturers charge?

    and am not a "big player"...does it still work?
    which arm of the manufacturer usually do i need to contact?..for example if its pepsi..

  4. #4
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vij490 View Post
    i have searched a lot in vain..
    where can i get retail product image for supermarket client?
    for example gillette razor,pepsi,Lays,Coke...etc?
    the online store should show these images..

    how do big players get product images..like electronics...etc.
    example..circ city...
    are there any laws governing usage of these images if at all am able to get them!
    help!!!!!!
    What kind of retail image do you need? Big sale? promotion? display? That's not a problem.
    why you never use google image to search it,
    http://images.google.com.sg/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi
    make a little bit modification, add the "sale" tag on the right side corner. the whole image can use as online retail image.if you know how to use Photoshop

    Last edited by Paul O'B; Sep 23, 2009 at 03:51. Reason: link removed

  5. #5
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks...
    but yeah am looking for things like an mobile phone store, then where can i get legal phone pics...can i just rip it off the manufacturer's site?...am not sure and not comfortable doing it w/o knowing if am allowed to..
    or for example...a grocery store which can sell from soaps to tooth brush to everything under the sun!....so my quest is to get these images,,...

  6. #6
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you should be able to get them directly from the manufacturers media department as long as you're using them legitimately, ie to sell their product.

  7. #7
    SitePoint Zealot zainabSULE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NG
    Posts
    117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To get images i think you should visit gettyimages.com. Register with them and you won't have a problem. For phone stuff, visit gsmarena.com; as far as i know, they have no laws about using their images. That's why the site is there.

    Hope this helps.
    Zainab

  8. #8
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getty images won't have branded products. And the images cost a fortune. iStockphoto Shutterstock are better for cheap stuff, but again, the products will be generic. The marketing department of each company is the way to go.

  9. #9
    Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    8,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evolvemma View Post
    What kind of retail image do you need? Big sale? promotion? display? That's not a problem.
    why you never use google image to search it,
    http://images.google.com.sg/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi
    make a little bit modification, add the "sale" tag on the right side corner. the whole image can use as online retail image.if you know how to use Photoshop
    That is a very bad idea, in fact it's downright illegal, ripping images (even of products and services) is basically copyright theft. Changing the image does not detract from the point because it isn't fair use to take someone elses work, adapt it and redistribute it without permission, it's simply theft.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spark_Creative View Post
    Getty images won't have branded products. And the images cost a fortune. iStockphoto Shutterstock are better for cheap stuff, but again, the products will be generic. The marketing department of each company is the way to go.
    I agree, and the great thing is most businesses are so happy for people to help them market their products they are unlikely to turn down an offer to give some good photos of their gear. While it may seem daunting to talk to the business itself, its the best way to go about the process legitimately

  10. #10
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    That is a very bad idea, in fact it's downright illegal, ripping images (even of products and services) is basically copyright theft. Changing the image does not detract from the point because it isn't fair use to take someone elses work, adapt it and redistribute it without permission, it's simply theft.



    I agree, and the great thing is most businesses are so happy for people to help them market their products they are unlikely to turn down an offer to give some good photos of their gear. While it may seem daunting to talk to the business itself, its the best way to go about the process legitimately
    Yeah, you are right, I know the image downright, also there is some limitation of the image downright. Posters, official advertisement photos, brand,trade marks and register packet are not allowed to modify without permission, otherwise, you can use the pictures.

    designers must be crazy to take photos to ask the manufacture marketing department every time. Some items are manufactured in China, do you think the UK designers will take a air plan with copyright document to another country to ask them to sign? If you want, you can do it, I don't mind, because your doing is better than me and no rick be suit by lawyer.

    Anyway, thanks your suggestion.

  11. #11
    Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    8,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Actually you can't use the images without permission, you are forgetting about copyright law... all images are copyrighted and attributed to their author automatically upon their creation (no matter what they are of), you don't need to get them registered (though it can be useful). As far as using other peoples images go it's very simple... if you don't have permission to use the images (modified or in their origional form), you are basically comitting theft. It doesn't matter if theres no trademark or if it's of an official product, you can't use anyones images unless you have express consent (either in writing or through licensing).

  12. #12
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    Actually you can't use the images without permission, you are forgetting about copyright law... all images are copyrighted and attributed to their author automatically upon their creation (no matter what they are of), you don't need to get them registered (though it can be useful). As far as using other peoples images go it's very simple... if you don't have permission to use the images (modified or in their origional form), you are basically comitting theft. It doesn't matter if theres no trademark or if it's of an official product, you can't use anyones images unless you have express consent (either in writing or through licensing).
    ...and it's not the manufacturer in China you need to contact, it's the marketing department in your own country. They will have a set of files for press releases etc that they'll be happy to let people use, provided it means they're selling more product.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •