SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

asp/php server query

hi, hope this is ze right forum.

Will soon be designing a major site in PHP, and we will be purchasing a dedicated server for our client.

They will be expanding in the future (months), and will be purchasing a bespoke system for their company needs. At this time we do not know how this will be designed (whether it is in PHP or ASP, for instance).

I've not much experience using windows servers.

Is it possible to run ASP on a linux server? For instance. The site is designed in PHP, and a link is available:

Click here to access our system

which takes the user to say, "mysite.com/the_system/index.asp"

Or would you purchase a windows server and allow both technologies? Again I've never used a windows server - are they that different? Any pros/cons?

hopefully I have been clear enough. I'd like to advise which server we should purchase. I also don't want to be the one to take the heat when in 5months time, they can't integrate their system with the website on the same server.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you really can't run classic ASP on Linux. You can do some of ASP.Net on Linux with MONO, but it's not feature complete and might only be partially compatible with .Net v2 at this point (haven't kept up).

You can, however, run PHP/MySQL on Windows. You can run PHP in IIS or run Apache on Windows, either way. But if you're going to run Apache, then you'd be back in the same boat as before, can't run ASP in Apache.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible to run ASP on a linux server? For instance. The site is designed in PHP, and a link is available:
    That is possible and you need to install ASP mode. I'm affraid you will not be able to do that personally and you will need to contact your web host and ask for the help
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Yes, there are some applications which will allow you to run ASP on Linux. However, applications like these are not reliable and hence I would suggest you to consider a Windows based dedicated server if you would like to run ASP.

PHP is supported on both Linux and Windows and hence there is no issue about PHP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is possible but better have asp server. The question in the server performance. With ASP server you will be using full server sources