User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice on which CMS to use?

Hi all, hopefully someone can help me providing I can explain thoroughly

I have been given the job to research possible CMS's that will compile roughly 3k to 4k pages with a hierarchy of at least 4 levels. Using 1 installation but having multisites or multiple-websites.

So far I have looked into using Drupal, Joomla, Plone, Liferay and a few others but im unsure which one suits me best as I feel I dont have enough knowledge or time to play around with them all.

Let me explain what the project plan is ;-

We have school that we want to act as a main portal site. This site will display multiple links a long with retrieving news from the lower levels of the website.

From the main portal site you have the choice of entering 3 department websites, Science | Maths | English - each represent their own website under the main portal page. Also, each have their own unique modules, links and theme.

When navigating through the school of Science it will display at least 15x divisions of classes i.e Int Biology | Int Chemistry | Int Physics... Each class division will have it's own website with their own modules, themes and links.

Lets say for example you are viewing the "Int Biology" website, this will be the information website for the class but it will then display "ALL" the teachers teaching "Int Biology". Each teacher will have their own website.

As you can imagine its a very tangled spiral web!!

The main idea is to use one database so that the data can continually flow and be shared between departments/divisional classes and especially the main website. So if 1 teacher from "Int Physics" updates his news page, then the new will be displayed on his website, the main website for "Int Physics", also display on the "Science" news page and finally on the "Main School" news page.

Hopefully this makes sense! haha, if not I can draw up a diagram to explain more appropriately.

Thanks in advance,
    Si

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaW View Post
    Hi all, hopefully someone can help me providing I can explain thoroughly

I have been given the job to research possible CMS's that will compile roughly 3k to 4k pages with a hierarchy of at least 4 levels. Using 1 installation but having multisites or multiple-websites.

So far I have looked into using Drupal, Joomla, Plone, Liferay and a few others but im unsure which one suits me best as I feel I dont have enough knowledge or time to play around with them all.

Let me explain what the project plan is ;-

We have school that we want to act as a main portal site. This site will display multiple links a long with retrieving news from the lower levels of the website.

From the main portal site you have the choice of entering 3 department websites, Science | Maths | English - each represent their own website under the main portal page. Also, each have their own unique modules, links and theme.

When navigating through the school of Science it will display at least 15x divisions of classes i.e Int Biology | Int Chemistry | Int Physics... Each class division will have it's own website with their own modules, themes and links.

Lets say for example you are viewing the "Int Biology" website, this will be the information website for the class but it will then display "ALL" the teachers teaching "Int Biology". Each teacher will have their own website.

As you can imagine its a very tangled spiral web!!

The main idea is to use one database so that the data can continually flow and be shared between departments/divisional classes and especially the main website. So if 1 teacher from "Int Physics" updates his news page, then the new will be displayed on his website, the main website for "Int Physics", also display on the "Science" news page and finally on the "Main School" news page.

Hopefully this makes sense! haha, if not I can draw up a diagram to explain more appropriately.

Thanks in advance,
    Si
    The best thing you can use is joomla this system can easily be customized if you know php and html w/ css. Plus joomla has a lot of plugins that you can use to make your site more user friendly and flexibility.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi thanks for your post, I understand Joomla has a lot of plugins and things but I would prefer to know if it was capable of doing what I am after rather than spending time configuring something that cannot be achieved.

Hope that makes sense?

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, you can do sub-sections in joomla. However, it's not always a *completely* intuitive approach when you're looking at it for the first time.

If you want to play around with it before actually installing & configuring, there's a demo site up:

http://demo.joomla.org/
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Force Flow, I will look more into Joomla for the time being.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been playing around with joomla and have come across a hiccup!

I understand sections and categories but I dont know if it's working as I intend to.

Ive made "departments" a section and placed "maths | english | science" as categories.

I then made "divisions" a section and placed "Int Biology | Int Physics etc" as categories.

My concern is now, how do I give the sections there own individual style template and also, if news was added to "Int Biology" how can it also be displayed on the "Science" new page if they are both in seperate sections?

Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sections are easy manageable with Drupal also.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you explain how so Sedmi?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can control which blocks shows/do not show on which pages/directories.

If you need more functionality, different template, style... use sections module or panels module. Views module and taxonomy module can also be of use. For more info check these links:
    http://drupal.org/project/sections
    http://drupal.org/project/panels_sections
    http://drupal.org/project/panels

http://drupal.org/node/160402

SitePoint Guru silver trophy JamesColin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drupal is better suited for your project, especially the multi install.
    Do you really need traffic? Where to? What for?
    If you really do need traffic then stop messing around!
    Advertise on my sites today: She Told Me & Best Reviewer :
    200,000+ UV / Month

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do this quite easily with MySource Matrix, especially if you need to integrate the users on the CMS with an LDAP user directory. Something that it does incredibly well is treat several sites as part of a unified whole, which is something of a kludge on most other CMSes.

(disclosure: used to work for squiz.net, however that does also mean I know my business )
    "I'm Commander Shepard, and this is
    my favourite post on the internet."

We'll miss you, Dan Schulz.