SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast AndrewGardner's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's The Twitter Etiquette?

So I don't really use twitter as a full-scale promotional tool. Sure, I've got a blog and occasionally make some music that I might wanna pimp a little bit, but I'm definitely more on the 'social' side of twitter.

So my question is, if I've been tweeting about, say, The New York Knicks (who I happen to be a long-suffering fan of) and I find that I'm suddenly being followed by some random person who is also a Knick fan (not a spam bot type of thing, just someone who shares the same interest/s) - should I do a 'solidarity follow' right back at them?

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When other people have asked that question they have received a mixed response. Some people answer yes that you should follow anyone who follows you. Others answer no, that you should only follow people who interest you.

If everyone followed everyone that follows them then the following and followed by counts would always be the same.

The only restriction I know of in the system itself is that you can't follow too many others without at least some people following you.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Enthusiast moneymaker1008's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, look at their tweets and see if you find their tweets interesting and genuine. Is it someone who you could interact with in the future?

Generally, I follow people if they interest me or show a promise of interesting me at some point in the future. Generally if they're not a bot or a spammer and they aren't massively following people, then it usually qualifies as a Follow back, IMO.

You also have to consider whether they're valuable to keep as a follower. Because there's a good chance they will one day unfollow you if you never follow them back.

And remember you can always stop following them if you change your mind.

-Danielle