SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Web Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding a Linux box to a WindowsXP network

At home I have added a Linux box running Redhat 7.0 to my WindowsXP network. I want to telnet and FTP to it from other computers on my home network as a web test bed. This home network is connected to a DSL service, which assigns IP addresses automatically. In addition to the Linux box I have on the home network my laptop and a desktop computer, both running XP Professional. They see each other fine in My Network Places. Neither of them see the Linux box, and I cannot FTP or telnet to it.

At work the Linux box connects to the network fine, where we have a DNS and all network addresses are static. Apache, PHP, etc. are all loaded on the box fine and work well.

I wonder if there is something inherent in the XP or my DSL ways of doing things that will not allow me to see it at home for FTP and telnet purposes. Has anyone had any experience with this?
    Paul C.
    ClickBasics
    http://www.clickbasics.com

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically you want to have one machine connected to the DSL connection (be it your Linux or XP desktop box). This machine (call it the gateway) also has an ethernet card in it which you connect your local network to, using private IP addresses. The gateway will now act as router between the DSL network (with it's dynamically assigned address) and your local network which you want fixed addresses on.

Using a standard ethernet hub, you can connect all the machines on the local network.

Your gateway will then have two IP addresses - the external DSL IP address and an internal one like;

Gateway: 10.0.0.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0 for ease) assign to ethernet card

then

Other desktop system: 10.0.0.2 - default gateway / router is 10.0.0.1
    Laptop: 10.0.0.3 - default gateway / router is 10.0.0.1

Hope that helps.

Web Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Harry,

I'll give it a try.

Regards,