User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Helpful advice needed.. Programmer Not an artist :(

Hi guys

I just have a quick question, What should a Web Programmers portfolio page look like?

I can do very basic designs in Photoshop , But my problem is i look at other websites which look very nice.

Now the problem i face is im a coder with not much of a graphical flair in comparison to some other graphics designers.

So im not sure what sort of content i should put on a programmers view portfolio.

I have done some classes to enable flash elements be updated, IE like dynamically generated XML documents and various Database functions
    Self written CMS systems. But again where i seem to fall flat on my face is when it comes down to design.....

Any help would be appreciated as far as what sort of designs i should aim towards.

I can write the following code
    PHP , MYSQL, (Basic Javascript) , ( Some Actionscript )

as well as the obvious markup languages..
    ( Basic > Advanced ( I think )) CSS,HTML etc..

Some of my designs can be seen at shabalaka.com/designs ( PS use the bottom set of links, Didnt have time to clean up the PHP script before going out sorry ) Any feedback on the designs would be appreciated, All images are copyright to their owners on some of them.
    The ClaimTracker image i had to remove the database for security reasons ( Investor addresses and such like , Hence the error displayed)

Any Help would be appreciated

Kind Regards Shab.
    Last edited by Shabalaka; Aug 27, 2009 at 07:49. Reason: Updating

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to show off your programming abilities then why not create some systems that the visitors can use. Create something like a log in system, maybe a custom captcha or anything else that requires a fair amount of programming.

However, if you want to showcase your abilities as a web designer/developer overall then you should definitely work on your design skills, so that you're at least as good as most of the other designers out there. Your designs might now wow them but at least they won't look amateurish.

I did take a look at what you've got and it wasn't that bad, just a little rough around the edges. keep working at it and you'll get it.

Also you might want to check out a few good books on web design, here are some of my favorites.

Books that every web designer should own
    Check out my web design blog.
    http://www.bolducpress.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks for the response

I tried again with a new design i think its slightly better than those other examples , And im actually quite happy with it ( Which is unusual for me... lol )

I uploaded the 2 new designs i came up with to my host,

They are named NewIdea.jpg
    and ShabNewDesign1

The NewIdea.jpg version was an idea of just a clean / simple layout. But i decided to ditch it because i decided it wasnt graphically pleasing.

Please feel free to look and post your feedback on them.

The one i was quite pleased with was ShabNewDesign1 lol ( Still looks a bit amateur but not as amateur as the rest ) lol

I will be sure to pick up those books.

Kind Regards Shab

Edited : Please take a look at error.jpg as well , I have encountered an issue which im not too sure how i can resolve. Any helpful advice regarding the problem would be appreciated.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For your portfolio, I believe you can simply use a well-tried CMS (WordPress, etc) and pick a free, good looking theme for it.

Since your emphasis is in web programming, you don't have to aim very high on the site's look. Just provide plenty of information about stuff you've done, make it easy for people to navigate the site and to contact you, and that should be good enough.

My 2 cents.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replys and advice , I think i will stick to designing my own site as opposed to using a CMS backend ( PHPNuke,E107,Joomla etc ) , Just to prove the point that i am at least capable of using Photoshop,Fireworks etc lol

Kind Regards Shab