SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Drive security

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drive security

Some other people might use my pc, people I don't exactly trust. I am worried about sensitive data being stolen. I reformat my drive and back up everything on an external disk quite often anyway, but I know formatting a drive and reinstalling the partitions and entire os still is not totally secure. I was planning on upgrading some components(graphics/sound cards, ram etc ), so maybe I will upgrade the memory disk too. Does putting in a new memory drive make it secure? So as long as I keep the original, all my data cant be stolen. Just checking that nothing gets stored in some ram chips or in the motherboard or something? I don't know a lot about this hardware.

secure webapps for all Aleksejs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By memory disk you mean hard drive right?
    You should not worry about RAM, videocard or motherboard (unless the last one has some special storage meant for key storage or doing encryption).
    Do not give your hard drive away, though. Unless you have at least once fully overwritten it using, for instance Eraser.
    Also depending on the level of your paranoia you can additionally use full disk encryption. (for example TrueCrypt).

Attacks on RAM chips that are long time since unplugged from PC are too infeasible, and if you are concerned about those, then you should probably be concerned about things like TEMPEST.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out TrueCrypt--you can use it to make an encrypted volume only you could access, even if someone had physical access to the device.

Memory disks are nice, but they die when you turn the PC off, so they aren't a permanent storage solution.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TrueCrypt is the best program (i love the quality programs and i have them all) and you have to use a pasword for your windows accounts and in that case nobody can read your stolen data

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If all you need to do is replace the hard drive/memory with a new one and destroy the old one then I guess there isn't too much to worry about. Iv heard of people destroying whole computers by setting them on fire or dumping the whole thing in the sea etc.... maybe thats just on tv? I never knew replacing the little drive was all it needed.

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why destroy or get rid of the old one? Just install the new one (presumably a much greater capacity one than the existing one) and use the old one as a slave drive. If the old one is in good health then you could consider keeping your documents on that one (with a backup on the new one) so that if your windows installation ever needs re-installing you will have your documents already backed up.
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point. I am not sure if the old drive would fit though if I get a new computer.

The operating system is installed on the drive right. So if I get a new one I have to reinstall the operating system. One thing I am not sure of though... My computer came with a vista home edition and it didn't come with a key so I think it will only work with this computer..... but I am not sure if it will still work if I put in a new drive?