SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting started with Stocks and Shares

I have a fair bit of money saved up from odd jobs and frugal living and sometime in the next couple of years I'm seriously thinking of jumping in the stocks and shares game.

At the moment, I have no knowledge of how the market works, or even what the funny numbers mean on the business section of most newspapers. Like most people, I assume that when the numbers are up every thing's good and when they're down we're screwed.

I'd like to learn about investing in stocks, especially from a British perspective (if there is any difference internationally). I've also heard that there are websites that mimic the stock market and allow you to use pretend money to invest to see how you would've fared if you had invested. Can someone point me in the direction of such resources, as well as your own experiences, tips and knowledge on the market.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would personally try to find someone you know that has done well investing. I would personally avoid internet advice and that kind of thing. You can get burned by friends and family but chances are they are looking out for your best interests. Sorry i couldnt help more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out this website Ultimate for Fantasy Stock MArket - http://uk.fantasytrader.yahoo.net/

Be warned that whilst you may excel in it, if you do it for real each trade usually costs money, so that can eat into your profits.

(disclosure: I'm not a financial advisor, but I have dabbled a bit in the stock market before.)
    I'm Rhys Wynne & I blog at Winwar Media
    WP Email Capture: Free Email/Ebook Marketing Wordpress Plugin
    UK Based SEO? Tweet Your Location to #ukseohere!
    | My Brand New Brand | Twitter |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stocks and shares are just a share of a company (the small shares like birds eat). When the economy is thriving you can make some money in shares when the economy is bad you will lose money.

The economy is bad… Don’t let the media spins and cooked numbers fool you.

Try joining a forum and spend some time studying treads. The most popular and informative one is probably http://www.marketwatch.com

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zipperz View Post
    When the economy is thriving you can make some money in shares when the economy is bad you will lose money.
    Oversimplification to say the least.

There are stocks, and entire industries, that do better when the economy is bad then when it is good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    Oversimplification to say the least.

There are stocks, and entire industries, that do better when the economy is bad then when it is good.
    good luck trying to pick them.

Raman noodles? Alcohol? Car alarms? Government war contracts?

Yeah there are some but the problem is people saturate them for more then they are worth and unless you get in early you buy in when they are over priced.

Once they are in the media they are already over sold. The insiders make the $ in that game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zipperz View Post
    good luck trying to pick them.

Raman noodles? Alcohol? Car alarms? Government war contracts?

Yeah there are some but the problem is people saturate them for more then they are worth and unless you get in early you buy in when they are over priced.

Once they are in the media they are already over sold. The insiders make the $ in that game.
    Hmmmm. Never heard of shorting?
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhysboy84 View Post
    Check out this website Ultimate for Fantasy Stock MArket - http://uk.fantasytrader.yahoo.net/

Be warned that whilst you may excel in it, if you do it for real each trade usually costs money, so that can eat into your profits.

(disclosure: I'm not a financial advisor, but I have dabbled a bit in the stock market before.)
    That link is exactly what I've been looking for, thanks. As you've dabbled in both (I assume) how would you compare them both? Also, as you've invested before how did you fare and how much did you invest?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy everything now; the only direction stocks can go from here is up :P I kid, I kid.
    hoang harry tran [harrytran.com]
    get RICH quick by going to my site. rich in useless knowledge

recently redesigned the site, witness its greatness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ULTiMATE View Post
    That link is exactly what I've been looking for, thanks. As you've dabbled in both (I assume) how would you compare them both? Also, as you've invested before how did you fare and how much did you invest?
    Again, another disclosure. My "dabbling in the stock market" was through stock options through a job I had. This allowed us to do things like free trades & better value on company shares, therefore a lot of risk was eliminated. I didn't make much, got scared when the company I worked for shares tanked so low, that the company offered to give us the buy price for it, so jumped out.
    I'm Rhys Wynne & I blog at Winwar Media
    WP Email Capture: Free Email/Ebook Marketing Wordpress Plugin
    UK Based SEO? Tweet Your Location to #ukseohere!
    | My Brand New Brand | Twitter |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prices don't have to go up for you to make money in stocks and shares; in fact it could be argued there is more money to be made if shares tank.

It is called short selling, it is a technique that sees investors borrow an asset, such as shares, currencies or oil contracts, from another investor and then sell that asset in the relevant market hoping the price will fall.

The aim is to buy back the asset at a lower price and return it to its owner, pocketing the difference.

A lot of people don't like it and call it unethical, personally I don't have an opinion one way or the other.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.