SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on jobs in Web Analytics? Web Marketing?

Like a lot of things in IT, rates to be all over the place. I have seen consultants charging $200 an hour. And I have seen "webmaster" jobs, that include web analytics, for $10 an hour.

I see a lot of people on oDesk doing this sort of thing for $10 - $20. Will this be taken over by offshore workers, like everything else in IT? Or is there some reason that companies would prefer to use Americans?

Obviously, I don't know a lot about this, any feedback appreciated.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by walterbyrd View Post
    I see a lot of people on oDesk doing this sort of thing for $10 - $20. Will this be taken over by offshore workers, like everything else in IT?
    Any job that can be outsourced will be outsourced eventually. That sucks, but it's the way that the world is going.

Even medical work is being outsourced to India and the such nowadays. They take MRIs in the States, send them electronically to India where Indian radiologists look at them and send e-mail the findings back to the USA.

The only jobs that aren't going to be outsourced are physical labour in the future, and for those we bring in workers from other countries (e.g. migrant workers to harvest crops).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By "outsourced" do you mean offshored?

If so, can web marketing be offshored? Or does it require too much local availability?

BTW: I'm not so sure about health care being offshored. Okay, maybe a few specializations, like radiology. But I would say about 95% of health care can not be offshored.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by walterbyrd View Post
    By "outsourced" do you mean offshored?
    Yes, sorry

If so, can web marketing be offshored? Or does it require too much local availability?
    Web marketing can easily be offshored, look at SEO services for example.

BTW: I'm not so sure about health care being offshored. Okay, maybe a few specializations, like radiology. But I would say about 95% of health care can not be offshored.
    It was an example to show that even things as sacrosanct as medical care are no longer immune to globalization. I don't think we'll offshore giving needles or the such any time soon