SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard Another Designer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't do this anymore!

I'm 49. I've been from job to job to job. I'm tired of looking for work all the time. I have a wife and child I have to take care of. I'm tired of meeting people who think anyone can do this type of work and that it's not worth paying for! I'm tired! I'm warn out! I like this work and I have loved it! But I have been unappreciated every step of the way. I have been let go and trampled upon. I CAN'T DO IT ANYMORE! But I don't know what else to do!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been feeling way under-appreciated myself lately. Given the current political climate of globalization at this current point in time things are only going to get worse. why use workers from one country who demand a high wage when we have price controlled financial failure in another and people are desperate for jobs!

Sorry to hear your situation, hopefully you can contract yourself out and keep food on the table. That is the only way you are going to get the respect you deserve.

Fred

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Designer View Post
    I'm 49. I've been from job to job to job. I'm tired of looking for work all the time. I have a wife and child I have to take care of. I'm tired of meeting people who think anyone can do this type of work and that it's not worth paying for! I'm tired! I'm warn out! I like this work and I have loved it! But I have been unappreciated every step of the way. I have been let go and trampled upon. I CAN'T DO IT ANYMORE! But I don't know what else to do!
    Another Designer, I know how the feeling goes as there is stigma for this entire industry from those who only see things from the client perspective or that of the WYSIWYG side of things, if you are feeling a bit exhausted from the stress of the job perhaps if you can afford a bit of time to recharge it would do you the world of good. While you probably feel underappreciated by your clients you should know that the rest of us in the industry know what you are going through and sympathize with you so there are others out there who know exactly how much of a job it is.

Don't let other peoples ignorance deter you from doing your job, remember that they are coming to you because they cannot do it themselves, and they recognise you are a professional at your job (no matter how they try and spin it). In your position I would go for the education route with new clients, basically write a document detailing what your job actually requires (in all it's stressful glory) sort of like a precursory resume, that way the next time a client acts like any monkey can do the job you can simply hand them a copy of the document and say that if they wish to try and provide that kind of service then by all means they can see how well they can cope. At least then they can't argue with the work you do or whats involved and you can diffuse some of the nonsense that gets spouted out.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sorry to hear about your condition......don't give up hope...Dont bother about others...some people pretend they know everything, in fact they dont....since you are good at your work and since you are happy, JUST CARRY ON.....God be with you!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you realizing your full potential at work?

Can you get an undemanding job doing less than what you think is your full potential?

Maybe, you can do what you really, really want on the side, instead of looking for it in your job gigs - and make money at the undemanding 9-to-5.

Then, in a year or two see where that leads to. You might find some opportunities that you never knew existed.
    -yasha78
    Ad-Network reviews and useful tips:
    WebsterFlooble.com - Last Updated: CasaleMedia
    GetRichandQuick.com - Laugh your a** off, learn something useful.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do believe in "fate". Perhaps, it might be a calling to start your business or something bigger than you're doing. In any case, try to motivate yourself cuz negativity won't help in anything.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know exactly what you are talking about here and I feel exactly the same way. The only difference is that I am a technical producer/integrator (glorified term for "web guy"). I myself am considering changing careers as well. I think part of the problem is that our job is one in which we are constantly being told what to do, and after a while it get repetitive. The clients then feel as though they have that power over you. It can become a subconscious or conscious power-trip for them. It's not like this for everyone though. So people do just 3 mockups and if the client isn't happy with any them, then they walk and leave the client to choose another designer. One of the worst things is to give the client too much control. In the end, giving the client too much control is bad for both the client and the designer and as the saying goes, "Give someone an inch, and they'll take a mile."

Also, try not to come off as desperate for a job or project as there are many people who will want to take advantage if you do. I'm not sure if this is what is going on with you in particular but they are some things to consider. This is basically the area where I am weakest, but am now really starting to wise up.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The barrier of entry in this industry is so low that anyone can learn from tech book and b.s. can usually get the job. Unlike lawyer or doctor where these professional need govrt. issued license in order to practice. Heck, even plumber require govrt. issue license in order to do business.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dotnetnoob View Post
    The barrier of entry in this industry is so low that anyone can learn from tech book and b.s. can usually get the job. Unlike lawyer or doctor where these professional need govrt. issued license in order to practice. Heck, even plumber require govrt. issue license in order to do business.
    That is rubbish, just because web designers do not need a license does not mean the barrier of entry is low (though I do think licensing web designers would help weed out the trash coders). Our industry is seriously competitive and theres a LOT of coders out there, more importantly both individuals and businesses are starting to recognise quality work from the junk frontpage coughed up, with the fast evolution of the web, the growing complexities people want on their websites and the relatively low amount of high quality professionals, getting work if you don't know very much is actually a very hard task to accomplish. The barrier to entry is high because theres a very high burnout rate for professionals, a LOT of skills which need to be kept up-to-date and the consequences of people not paying for work if it doesn't meet their standards. The very notion that someone could grab a book, BS their way through an interview and get a high paying job is illogical.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See if you have talent and dream to grow more and more.And you are ready to work in the same field so its better to change your job and join some where else,where you will be appreciated for your good and hard work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really sorry to hear about your predicament! Just do what you love and your family will support you. Good Luck! We're praying for you.