User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard dragonfly_7456's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HTTPS certificate

Hello,

I have a quick question about HTTPS certificates. I am using Safari (on a Mac), and I have noticed that on almost all large sites that I visit (for example PayPal), when I am taken to their https area, in the right part of my address bar a green button comes up, stating the company name (PayPal Inc.), and an option of clicking the button for additional certificate info.

However, this is not the case with my certificate. While customers do not get any errors or warnings when accessing my https zones, they do not get that additional info in the top right of the address bar. It just doesn't come up.

Is there something special that needs to be done to achieve this? I am very unclear about https certificate types and the like.

Thank you for your feedback
    Content Writing Service - Get custom SEO articles for 10$

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Firstly, just for clarification they are not HTTPS certificates, they are called SSL certificates. Secondly the whole green bar and extended information is a certificate type known as an EV certificate (confused yet?), they are different from standard ones (like the one you probably have) as they have a greater level of detail about the owner visible (giving more credibility) and the green bar gives the user greater awareness that they are on a secure connection (along with the default padlock). The problem however with EV certificates are they are MUCH more expensive (around 8 or 10 times more!) and require a more stringent validation process (almost like a background check) so they are for the general populous who want a secure connection not really necessary. Hope that's helpful

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need an EV cert:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extende...on_Certificate

Big scam to get more $$$ from you because the issuing companies were lazy to begin with!

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I dont think it's a scam, I think it has valid use in enterprises where more checks on the background of the company is needed to validate the business as well as the connection, after all, any scammer can get a SSL cert and use it to fool people into a false sense of security. EV certificates can't just be snagged up as they require proof of the individual behind the site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds great guys. Thanks for the input, I am clear on this information now.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    I dont think it's a scam, I think it has valid use in enterprises where more checks on the background of the company is needed to validate the business as well as the connection, after all, any scammer can get a SSL cert and use it to fool people into a false sense of security. EV certificates can't just be snagged up as they require proof of the individual behind the site
    The only problem is that smaller businesses, the ones that really need the checking (it's assumable that you already know about big companies, so you already trust or not trust them), have to cough up the much larger fee. Perhaps now a scammer can't as easily get "XY Bank" or "PayPal XY" certificates, but that's something that the certificate issuers should have seen red flags on and done a little extra checking just in case already.

It's also not known how people even notice the difference. There was a study done, but the participants were briefed on the difference, so it's not a very useful study.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, in Safari its really easy to spot Being myself on a Mac, this was why I noticed this. Note, none of my Windows workers even had a clue of what I was talking about.