SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wordpress Question: How did she do this?

The owner of this site was able to put a box with a video and an opt-in box on the homepage of the blog, however, it's not on every page. So it's not a widget. Can you guys tell me how she did this?

Here's her site:

http://katiefreiling.com/

TIA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She has inserted the getresponse.com Email Marketing script (CGI) in the index template of her wordpress theme after the header section and before the posts.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool. Thanks.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thewebhostingdir View Post
    She has inserted the getresponse.com Email Marketing script (CGI) in the index template of her wordpress theme after the header section and before the posts.
    Where exactly might I find the script in the back office of GetResponse? Please be as detailed as possible on how to navigate to it. Thanks.

For your interest, it is possible to show widgets only on certain pages.
    Take a look at the widget logic plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/widget-logic/
    Cool. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Page not found, shame I was curious.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jemple View Post
    Page not found, shame I was curious.
    Try clicking again. It worked fine for me.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBCMember View Post
    ...however, it's not on every page. So it's not a widget....
    For your interest, it is possible to show widgets only on certain pages.
    Take a look at the widget logic plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/widget-logic/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Asd it states on the bottom of every page of her site, she's using the Fresh News theme - this has lots of features, including the ability to put a video on the front page.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a way to do this with Aweber?

Sophia, yes it does have that feature for the homepage, however it is only in a widget, which means it can only be in the side column, not on top of the blog posts. Thanks, though.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can "widgetize" any part of your blog theme. You can make a "sidebar" above your posts, below them, in the header, in the footer, in any column. Just put <?php dynamic_sidebar(#); ?> where you want to be able to drop widgets, and add <?php register_sidebar(#); ?> to the functions.php file in the theme so WordPress is aware of the new "sidebar".

You can have different sidebars, or different HTML, on the home page than the rest of the blog. Just name a theme file home.php and it becomes the home page, distinct from all other pages.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    You can "widgetize" any part of your blog theme. You can make a "sidebar" above your posts, below them, in the header, in the footer, in any column. Just put <?php dynamic_sidebar(#); ?> where you want to be able to drop widgets, and add <?php register_sidebar(#); ?> to the functions.php file in the theme so WordPress is aware of the new "sidebar".

You can have different sidebars, or different HTML, on the home page than the rest of the blog. Just name a theme file home.php and it becomes the home page, distinct from all other pages.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy
    Thanks. I just have a couple of questions about this. Where you have the "#" in the code, do I really use that symbol, or do I replace it with a number that corresponds to that sidebar, or do I put a number right next to the "#" symbol (without a space in between) that corresponds with that sidebar?

But if you just want to put a video above the post list on the home page, just paste the video HTML above the loop in home.php (if you don't have a home.php, make a copy of index.php and call that home.php with the change).
    Actually, I would like to put a sidebar/widget right above the blog posts that is the same size as the blog post previews like hers is. I also want the video on the left, a line down the middle, and the opt-in form on the right in the widget like hers. I'll make a different design for it.

And what is "the loop" in home.php?

TIA

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. Thanks. Can you have two "sidebars" on the homepage: one with a widget for the video above the posts, and the other for all of the other widgets on the right side where it normally is? If so, is the code you gave all I need? Is there a certain place on the functions.php page where I should put that code?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can have an unlimited number of sidebars.

The WordPress website has hundreds of pages of documentation. Use it, search it.

But if you just want to put a video above the post list on the home page, just paste the video HTML above the loop in home.php (if you don't have a home.php, make a copy of index.php and call that home.php with the change).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Loop - WordPress Codex

Use a real number

All of this is well documented on wordpress.org. Just do a Google search with the word "wordpress" then your question.

wordpress the loop
    wordpress register_sidebar

SitePoint Zealot DailyCashSaver's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like here website it is proffessional and is the pefect place to put a landing page to gather emails.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. Thanks.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree DailyCash. And she does very well with it financially.