SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you guys think of Cloud Hosting?

What do you guys think of Cloud Hosting, and how this could affect current web hosting trend?

TALK 2 EXPERTS - Let's talk to technology experts!

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had a mosso account for a while. For the most part, it wasn't much different from any other basic webhost. The only issue is that you won't get a dedicated server, and you won't get shell access (although this could change between different hosting providers).

The upside: since your site is in the cloud, explicit backups don't need to be done. Also, you can have both IIS and Apache running under your account--essentially two giants of the webserver world.

The downside: dedicated hosting options are limited, shell access options are limited. Your data is "in the cloud" and not in one spot, so security may be an issue. It's expensive.

Bottom line, it's another option for web hosting, but it's not for everybody.
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As for the pricing scheme, I think it's a lot like the cell phone market, cloud hosting acts as the "Pay as you go" solution where as typical hosting acts like a "contract" solution, arguably both have their advantages however different people will want different things so it won't really put either out of the job

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My friends, thanks for all your answers.

TALK 2 EXPERTS - Let's talk to technology experts!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get away from cludhosting. i tried it.

mat

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cloud hosting is just a new buzz word. Anyone with a site large enough to have to offload their MySQL server to a second box has had a cloud for quite a while now. This is not a new idea. It is a new way of managing the sites in the cloud from one location (for the website operator).

The real question to ask is do you really need it? Is it worth the extra expenditure? Yes, it should give better uptime for your site. If you are not comfortable with the command line and only use a control panel, then it should be fine and give you the ability to manage a very large site relatively easily. Otherwise it is probably a waste of money really. For me I get a dedicated server so I can manage my own service offerings. If I want to use postfix instead of qmail or sendmail then I can do it. Otherwise I am stuck with something the control panel software deems necessary. Which is not always the best thing to use in given situations.

The only thing it is going to affect is people's pocket books. One way or the other.