SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

opening a png file in photshop reduce quality of images?

Hi all

i was given a couple of png from a client they trying to blame me for the quality of the png to compare to the orginall image they sent me

is it true the that png files are not the same as psd files?

Thanks,William

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what i mean is look at this png file i was given it looks very low quality on the banner where it explains the 3 compaies does it look low quality do you think?

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Of course their not the same, their different file formats which by definition means they will have different methods of compression, color support and ways of managing the image quality. PSD is the file format of photoshop which means it retains all its layers (etc) in tact ready to be opened and edited in photoshop, PNG files are essentially the "finished result" with all the compression and stuff applied to it.

PS: That steadcom logo is off-centered, the O doesnt have the blob of blue in place, its overlapping the M instead.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You posted a JPG file... I'm not sure what to say.

Be aware that there are many types of PNG files.

The main difference is that you can have an 8-bit (RGB) indexed image or a 24-bit true color image. 8-bit allows for 2^8 colors (256), while 24-bit true color images allow for 2^24 colors (16,777,216).

Note: The PNG format also supports 16-bit/channel images (making for a 48-bit true color image), but most everything in consumer electronics, including computers, only support 8 bits per channel, and Photoshop defaults to 8 bits per channel when creating a new canvas.