SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are project manuals the standard?

What is the general expectation of freelancers and those they provide for, when it comes to documenting projects?

I have a client now, who I've done a fairly big job for. The pay is $2000, of which I am still owed a fair bit. He mentioned recently that he expected to get documentation despite the fact that it was not a part of our negotiations. He said it was part of "code delivery."

My question is, is this the case? I don't want, in ignorance of a common practice, to give a reasonable client grounds to complain about me to other potential clients. My common sense tells me that it is not something he should expect when it was not a part of our negotiations.

What makes it worse, and the reason I will not take time to write a manual either way, is that this client has been extremely inconsiderate to work with. I could go on for pages on about that, but sufficed to say, my own lack of experience and the clients shameless abuse of that resulted in me doing a $5000 project for $2000, of which I am still owed a 1/3. I have run out of patience, but I do want objective and experienced opinions from other freelancers and employers: who is being unreasonable here?

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrel343 View Post
    He mentioned recently that he expected to get documentation despite the fact that it was not a part of our negotiations. He said it was part of "code delivery."
    He can expect whatever he wants, but if he's a difficult client and it's not spelled out as a deliverable in your contract then it's not part of the code delivery.