SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Facebook? LinkedIn? Do they generate new business?

I am a freelance programmer and haven't joined either but do get invites from clients. Is one better than the other? I am mainly concerned about the privacy issues. Anyone can reconstruct your life by checking out your friends list. Are there real benefits in terms of generating new business or is it just hype & "I-have-more-friends-than-you" ego boosting? Does anyone get new business from these contacts?

SitePoint Enthusiast moneymaker1008's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're a freelancer I would definitely recommend LinkedIn. It's more professional and you can definitely make some quality contacts by joining groups. You can also boost your reputation by having people you've worked with in the past give you recommendations on your profile.

-Danielle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a business profile for LinkedIn, my connections consist of clients and other business contacts I have made. I have also got business directly off LinkedIn

I have two Facebook profiles. One for personal use, it consists only of my close friends and family. My other page is for clients and business contacts. I only update it with business related items, and to chat with clients. It's friendly and personable, I think clients like that.

SitePoint Enthusiast moneymaker1008's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ikjosh View Post
    I have a business profile for LinkedIn, my connections consist of clients and other business contacts I have made. I have also got business directly off LinkedIn

I have two Facebook profiles. One for personal use, it consists only of my close friends and family. My other page is for clients and business contacts. I only update it with business related items, and to chat with clients. It's friendly and personable, I think clients like that.
    I didn't know you could have two Facebook profiles. How did you do this? Because I only use mine for personal reasons but would like to start another. Did you use another name?

-Danielle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moneymaker1008 View Post
    I didn't know you could have two Facebook profiles. How did you do this? Because I only use mine for personal reasons but would like to start another. Did you use another name?

-Danielle
    Hi Danielle,

I use my personal email address to create my personal account, and my business email for my business account.

I also created groups and fan pages for some of my businesses/ventures/associations

SitePoint Enthusiast facebooklicious's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facebook and LindIn both consider a effective way for promoting business online. Facebook is really impressive these days to interact with online people. Nice info. Thanks

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With Facebook, you are able to set the privacy level for individual items. You can allow a particular item to be viewed by just your friends, everyone or no one at all. If you don't feel comfortable having something discovered in the future, just don't put it on Facebook.

The real transactions or deals don't happen directly on Facebook. It is the relationships built out of constant interaction with your prospects that are able to get you business.

If you just have a presence on Facebook, it will not get you any business. If you are a programmer, I would suggest you to join groups that have members that are very likely to become your client. Look for groups that have small business owners, entrepreneurs, web developers, designers or even other programmers.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also a freelancer and I have been using facebook...and it really has some good features which helps to maintain the privacy....and no one can steal or make use of your info.