User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is AOL Blocking Autoresponders?

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question... I have a couple web sites that give away free reports and report series (such as a 7 day training course) and I use autoresponder services to deliver them to my visitors.

Recently, I've noticed everyone signing up using an AOL email address is coming back "undeliverable". Has AOL implemented some type of autoresponder blocking feature? We're using third party services for the autoresponder reports. I don't believe any of them have been banned on AOL.

Anyone here know anything more on the subject? I would sure appreciate any information anyone can send my way...

Thanks a bunch!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard AOL blocked quite a few third party mailing list / autoresponders services. You should tell the service you're using about it so maybe they can talk with AOL to be removed from the list. It can be done if they prove they are not spamming...
    Sebastien Rosset
    :: Commercial: BlackSonic | ScriptsCenter
    :: Non-Profit: VJCentral | ReclaimYourSoul

You wanna' peice o' me! Automated's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why dont you use your own autoresponder system, they are very easy to install.

Surely this would end your trouble

or have i messed something?

Matthew Taylor
    FreelanceForums.com - Do you Freelance ?
    Visit the Freelance Forums and participate in all areas of Freelance Chat

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    exhale81 - thanks for the info -- I'll check with our third party services and see what they can do about it.

Automated - I WISH!! Actually, I have a few simple autoresponders set up on the new dedicated hosting service I'm migrating to, but the job is HUGE and I won't have them fully operational for at least another 2 months. Meanwhile, another site we operate which isn't in the migration plans also has simple autoresponders which we use for the single page reports - BUT - no "deep" autoresponders that can send several messages over a specified period of time.

I've been looking at a few CGI scripts, but this would also mean having to set up an e-mail contact data base with all of the features currently available through our third party in order to migrate our lists -- and then there would also be the broadcasting capabilities required -- and then we get into... ...well, let's just say, it could all end up being both very expensive and very time-consuming at the moment. If I had more time, I'd definitely be doing it. On the other hand, if I had more money, I'd definitely be hiring someone else to do it for me

In my spare time, I'm still bookmarking possible solutions. If you can share any tips, I'd be greatful.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AOL blocks a lot of mass-mailing systems by default. And if you aren't blocked automatically, it just takes one forward to spam@aol.com to get you blocked.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------