SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Merging Documents

I am moving from FP2002 to DW MX.

One of the useful features of FP2002 is the ability to use a FP specific feature called a webbot. The main webbot I have used is called "include". It allows you to take some oft-repeated content and store it in its own file. Then every time you want to use that content in another page, you just "include" it.

For example, I have a glossary on my site. Every page in the glossary has the same links header and copyright footer, so I just put those two items in their own files and used the "include" webbot to merge the content into every glossary page.

An example can be found at http://www.findalink.net/reinsurance/def-c.htm.

SOOOOO, is there a way to do this using standard coding?

I asked this question here because it is not really a question about my software, but about coding. Apologizing in advance if the forum is still wrong.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frankly, it would be nice if you could do this for either your sidebars or headings on any page.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes. I said all that malarkey about where I submitted this thread, and I really intended to do it in Design Issues. Please move it to wherever it goes, and I'll shut up about it.
    Jim Lewis
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver has a feature called Library items which will do this. However, you might consider looking at using Server Side Includes. This does the exact same thing but it does it on the Server Side (thus the name). Or you could even use PHP, Cold Fusion or ASP to do this. That way if you decide down the road to build your site using a programming language, you'll already be good to go.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes