SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alternate to Frames

Hi what is the best alternative to frames, the thing i like about frames is that i can link somewhere on the page and it will open that link on any part of the webpage, can this be done without frames?
    Animated Chatrooms - www.121chatrooms.net

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is no alternative to frames, and you should not be using them (for the many reasons well known), there is no genuine reason why anyone needs to embed other websites within their own, the costs of their use is too great to ever be justified.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A partner company of ours uses the iframe (an inline frame, deprecated if you're using Strict doctypes but allowed in crappy doctypes) to display our form, which is sitting on our server and our software processes it. This was what they wanted to do, show our working form on their page.

The alternative for that case would have been the <object> tag.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Apart from not being able to turn off the border around it in IE there is nothing an <object> tag can't do that an obsolete <iframe> tag can do.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont want to use a frame to embed into other sites, i was to have 2 areas on 1 page where 1 has links and when i click a link it will load on the other area of the page.
    Animated Chatrooms - www.121chatrooms.net

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike4x4s View Post
    i was to have 2 areas on 1 page where 1 has links and when i click a link it will load on the other area of the page.
    That is using a frame to embed pages into other pages. Meaning you are requiring the browser to load multiple pages at the same time. If they are all from the same site then you are adding significantly to overhead without any benefit and could achieve the same result with a lower overhead simply by combining the pages together.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    i dont want to use a frame to embed into other sites, i was to have 2 areas on 1 page where 1 has links and when i click a link it will load on the other area of the page.
    Sounds like you want server-side includes which do just what you describe, without any frames!

Apart from not being able to turn off the border around it in IE there is nothing an <object> tag can't do that an obsolete <iframe> tag can do.
    Nobody at our company is going to try to explain this to the other company... Mars media did their site and so I'm going out on a limb here and going to assume Mars did their job and informed the client of non-iframe possibilities, and that the client for whatever reason chose not to do it...
    but I could be wrong.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really glad I found this thread. I have been using iframes because they are convenient and did what I was looking for. That said, the website I built was loading rather slowly and I was not sure why...