SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just recieved my first ad offer and it's going pretty well. The company wants ads on my new site that hasn't launched yet (is that a good sign?).

My problem is that I'm not 18 yet and so, would there be any problem with them buying from me?

Also, are there any techniques that any of you have picked up from dealing with advertisers? I'm new to advertisers (but I know a bit about ads...just don't have experience yet) and I'm worred that they think of me (sounds like a prom date ) as an un-professional site.

Lastly, how do I go about recieving money from them? Do they send a check and once I get it I prepare everything? How do they know I won't cheat them, how do I know they won't cheat me, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey d3v,

Wanting ads on a new site that hasn't launched yet sounds like a really good sign. Sounds like they liked what they saw.

I wouldn't worry too much about them thinking you were un-professional. If they thought that, they wouldn't have contacted you in the first place. About the only suggestion that I can offer is to be honest and to keep them informed.

As for money, on my site, we require payment in advance. What is to keep them from not paying you once the ad campaign is over? Payment wise, we used to use MC/Visa until we changed company names. Now we are using bank wires. Customers pay the transfer fees. OR...Since we just quit taking credit cards, there is the service called PayPal. The customer can open an account and pay by CC if they wish. The money is then transfered into your account. It doesn't sound very professional, but then again, not everyone can accept CCs.

Just be honest with the customer. They will appreciate more than you'll realize.

CDitty http://www.redhotsweeps.com

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    d3v, I visited your site using IE5 and ever time the page finished loading it automatically redirected me to your burstnet URL.

I had to stop the page before it fully loaded to see any content on your site.

Just thought i'd let you know.

This isn't the first site i've come across that this happens on either

------------------
    Keith McLaughlin
    Soon to come,
    www.webmasterswork.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keith, that site (fourthdev) isn't the one that I'm going to launch; in fact is hasn't been updated for six months (hit me on the head for that one!).

I expect my new site which is about the programming side of the Web (specifically active server pages) to be very targeted, plus have lots of potential advertisers (ASP developer companies, hosts, component developers, database tools, other ASP sites, etc.).

BTW--I checked PayPal and it doesn't accept people under eighteen years old, unfortunately. My bank does let me accept checks written out to me, but not and credit cards, and using a 3rd-party doesn't send a good image in my opinion.

Checks look like the #1 way, but I should require cash in advance and would this take too long? I live in the midwest so the mailing from anywhere in the US/Canada shouldn't take too long, and I can visit the bank everyday, but it would also take a while for them (the bank) to contact the writer of the check's bank and transfer the fees, wouldn't it?

I just don't want advertisers to have to wait one and a half weeks before I get the cash and their ad goes up, which certainly wouldn't please them.

How do you all deal with this?

Thanks!

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a certain amount of trust in matters like these. The internet by nature is largely anonymous but you should know who you're dealing with. Know where the company or individual is. Their address. Phone number. Etc. Go to their website and think if they're legit or not. Check out who their domain is registered to via whois. In other words expell all anonymity. And then if the deal does go sour its $20 to file a claim in small claims court.

Or just do what sitepoint does. First time advertisers pay in advance.

Chris

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips, aspen. SitePoint obviously has some smart people behind it...I never thought of doing it that way but now I think I will.

Thanks for all of your tips!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quinn,

One thing I would recommend is perhaps "officially" giving the site/business to your parents...IE: they own it. You'd simply run the site for them, and advertisers could right checks out to your mother and father. This may sound odd, but I think it would do the trick.

Other than that, I have to agree with the others: just be straightforward, chances are they might just send you a check, real informal-like.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Under Construction!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris...
    That's unfortunately one of the things I didn't want to do. Although my parents are supportive it would 1) tell the advertiser that I'm <x> years old and 2) send a non-professional image.

I think I will...
    Require advance payment for first-time advertisers via check written out to me ("Quinn Slack" not "Aspology.com") and not start advertising until the check has cleared on my bank's and their bank's side
    For second advertisers I'll run their ads immediately but they still have to pay in check

Shall I go to my bank and set up a new account specifically for my Web site or should I just use my existing one?

My parents also mentioned something about me having a credit card under them which the advertisers could transfer funds into. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Thanks again for all of your help everyone!

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Quinn,

You probably already know my site: http://echodev.com/

Anyway, for the 5 months that my site was online, I got about 8 advertisers so far.

First of all... unless, the advertiser is buying ads from you for a 3 or more times, you always have to as for a 100% payment upfront. Unfortunately, I learned it the bad way... I started a campaign before, I received the check. After a week, I started wondering why the money hadn't come yet... I sent an advertiser a message and he replied that he forgot to send the check. Anyway, I got it about 20 days after I sent the invoice...

Ask your advertisers to send you a check by FedEx... fast and reliable... you can even track your package.

Also, you said that you can't use PayPal because you are not 18... but so what? Ask your parents to sign up or a friend who's over 18 years old.

I'm only 14 years old, but I already send and received several thousands dollars without any trouble (my brother helps me out with everything)...

Even though, I usually don't tell my advertisers' my age, when I do, they not only think that I'm not unprofessional, but they also say that I've done a good job on my site, etc. etc.

Anyway, good luck
    Boris
    p.s. How much are they buying?

------------------
    Echo Web: The Web Developer's Starting Point
    http://echodev.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips, Boris.

I doubt my parents would be up to the PayPal thing though, because they don't really like anything involving money on the Internet even though they both do a ton of work on the Internet. And my brother is 16.

FedEx sounds like a very good idea. I can even position it as a plus for them because it would be possible for them to verify that I recieved their check (not that I plan to rip them off or anything ).

As for the p.s., we haven't quite worked that out yet but they want custom advertising, not just the regular banner ad. Something like a way to implement their product in ASP, etc.

Thanks for the replies everyone! As always all are greatly appreciated.

Matt Mickiewicz
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Receiving a check 20 days after the invoice date is good... we make all our invoices due within 30 days, but some ad agencies take several months to pay.

------------------
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder/Administrator
    http://www.SitePoint.com - Resources to Build and Grow Your Site!
    matt@sitepoint.com

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Matt,

I was wondering how much does SitePoint earns each month through its advertisers? Do you get a lot of repeat advertisers? And how much traffic do you ge overall?

Boris

------------------
    Echo Web: The Web Developer's Starting Point
    http://echodev.com

Confirmed Halfwit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi d3v,

In answer to your question on how to set up the banking.. in your own name or the business name...?

I'm guessing that you haven't registered your business as either a corporation or proprietorship, so your income will automatically be considered as personal gain. (As if you had a regular job.)

Basically, this means that, from an income point of view, you can have the advertisers send cheques in your name or the "business" name and it would still be considered your own income. However, as you've noticed, you might have a hard time getting a bank account set up in the "business" name which will force you to only accept cheques addressed to you personally.

I don't believe there is a minimum age to register a sole proprietorship. Doing so would establish you as a legitimate business, and would give you the ability to go to the bank and then open an account in the business name. Your income from the business would still be considered personal gain and taxed as regular income.

If you decide not to do this, then I'd still open a second account and keep everything seperate. Eventually, the business will provide you with a lot more money (hopefully) and you'll be glad you have seperate records for when you finally do register the business. (Especially if you incorporate.)

Also, if you keep things seperate it is much easier to track your income and expenses. You can see your financial status at a glance without having to figure out what is your other income from other jobs, etc...

Feel free to email me if you want to talk about this some more. Remember that it is never to early to talk to a financial advisor. The habits you start now will carry on into your business affairs for a long time. Do it right the first time. Maybe meet with a few small home-business owners and see how they set things up.

Cheers!

------------------
    www.gimmeabuck.com <-- Have you given me a buck yet!?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help.

I think I'll go ahead and try to make it so advertisers can write out checks to "Aspology.com" instead of to my name because that way it's arguably more professional and as you said it will be easier if I do end up incorporating this site (unlikely) or another business I make in the future if I open a whole other back account.

Is it considered "okay" for me to go to other similar sites and check their CPM and compare it against mine on my media kit? I know Sitepoint (WR at that time) used to do that with an emphasis on the "used to."

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using either direct deposit or wire transfer payments for my advertisers. The wire transfers have a fee of about $20, which is not such a big ammount for an order of $1K+ . Wire transfers arrive within 3 business days to your bank account. If you are selling smaller ammount of your ad space you should consider checks, paypal. Another easy way to accept cc is the http://buyit.beseen.com/ . You can receive up to $50K payments with 4% fee .

Good luck

-------
    John Nousis
    Siteowners.com
    -------

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by aspen:
    There is a certain amount of trust in matters like these. The internet by nature is largely anonymous but you should know who you're dealing with. Know where the company or individual is. Their address. Phone number. Etc. Go to their website and think if they're legit or not. Check out who their domain is registered to via whois. In other words expell all anonymity. And then if the deal does go sour its $20 to file a claim in small claims court.

Or just do what sitepoint does. First time advertisers pay in advance.

Chris
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmmmmmm....I have a question regarding this matter. How would I know if the website is legit or not? I believe it is hard to determine if the site is legit or not. What if the site looks really professional (designed by a great webmaster) but the business itself is just a scam?

Do these business websites require a business or tax ID placed on their pages? I rarely see these things,huh!

By the way, how much should I earn from my website's revenue before I could claim it to the IRS? (this topic is irrelevant but I can't help it)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A highly-professional site with at least a half-decent domain name is VERY unlikely to be a scam...you'd obviously have to trust your instincts and browse around their site a bit, but I think you can usually tell. I'd also ask them for some referalls...but overall I'd imagine well-done scam sites are VERY rare...anyone have any horror stories about advertisers?

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Under Construction!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might not be much more to protect you from a fake buyer, however, it will boost customer relations, and show that you will not take fake purchases easily: confirm orders by a phone call. Just call, verify who they are, verify the purchase product/amount, and then ask if there is anything they need help with.

Richard

------------------
    richard@brevig.com

gimmeabuck.com - I will give my buck...you give yours.