SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any pointers on switching hosting companies for resellers?

I have a reseller account with over 100 websites I am hosting. They all have databases or ssl or ecommerce etc so they are pretty intense. I really want to switch hotsing companies. Any pointers or suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are switching from say cpanel to cpanel then its not that bad assuming you have WHM on both sides.
    However I don't know how many of the custom settings it grabs. My best guess would to be to post of the specific forum of what product you are moving from or to(cpanel,plesk,etc)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is hsphere. i don't know if they do easy transfers or anything like that.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now I just purchased a new dedicated server. I already have two others. I wanted to upgrade one of my boxes and I am doing that right now. I use ISPConfig (through tutorials on www dot howtoforge dot com) and had ISPconfig 2 installed on my old box and I installed ISPConfig 3 on my new box. Right now I am having to manually move one site at a time and use grep to figure out absolute paths in the website files that need to be changed. Database names have changed as well and that is also changed in the various files. I then am having to copy and move the mail from one server to another as well. This is very tedious, but it is possible. I have about 100 sites on this server myself. Going to be a long two weeks it seems like to me really.

But it is possible. yes, it is tedious. Sometimes it is necessary though. If you don't want to have to deal with that type of problem, then you should not use a control panel really. As far as I am concerned (and have proven this many times to myself) CPanel and the other control panels (including ISPConfig) just take up about 1/3 to 1/2 of your system resources. It is much better to go with a non-control panel version. But you have to really learn and know your stuff to make it happen.

Transfers can only be made easy if you have mad sysadmin skills. There are some people out there who will do it for you for pretty reasonable rates.

Good luck, let me know if you need any help!

Thanks,

Fred

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What company do you want to transfer your reselling?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why you want to transfer your current reseller hosting?
    It is better to talk with your hosting provider to upgrade your reseller hosting account with the specs that able to handle all your reseller clients easily.
    What are the control panel that you used to manage all accounts?
    Cheers!
    Roy
    Tagged on latest ASP.NET Hosting technologies and features.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a company in mind that i want to change to just yet. I am on hsphere right now, and the main concern is support.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe on the first stage you will need to find decent web hosting service. then you will need to ask them if they are ready to help you with moving. I'm sure in 90% cases you will have help from the company
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting