SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I getting dumper or are people getting smarter?

You guys I read a lot in here and don't comment because peoples vocabulary and descriptors are really hard for me to follow.

A lot of these posts I read are some really smart people it scares me. They seem like they've read every book under the sun and see things from a vantage point in the sky.

I feel like I'm getting dumber! The accumulation of knowledge in some of these people here blow my mind, they must have a mind like a sponge.

Anyone else know what Im saying?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In fact, we didnt change anyway~~!

So now you know the answeer~~!

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I used to jokingly say that all college did was teach you how to use longer words. Not always true I know, but it is often enough. I usually find myself using words that the listener should understand. For example, if I'm talking to other Med Techs I might use "neutrophil" and "glucose", but to others "white blood cell" and "blood sugar". To Web Devs, "CSS" and "HTML", to others simply "code".

The point of language is communication, so whatever it takes to get your idea across so the listener/reader has some level of understanding is the goal.

I wouldn't worry about not using elegant words. I see plenty of posts with horrible spelling and grammar, and I'm not talking about typos. Just post as you feel comfortable and don't feel self-conscious about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said Mitti! That sounds more like just great communication skills you have

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps the people are getting smater,because you should not believe your own mentality.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JREAM View Post
    You guys I read a lot in here and don't comment because peoples vocabulary and descriptors are really hard for me to follow.

A lot of these posts I read are some really smart people it scares me. They seem like they've read every book under the sun and see things from a vantage point in the sky.

I feel like I'm getting dumber! The accumulation of knowledge in some of these people here blow my mind, they must have a mind like a sponge.
    JREAM, trust me, there's no way in heck that anyone can claim to be an expert at everything and we certainly don't have a vantage point, it's probably because we have just been doing the job for so long that it's natural for us to call it as it is, my mind isn't a sponge, it's more like a sieve... old stuff gets filtered out, new stuff gets caught, my memory is actually pretty bad so it took me a long time to catch up to the whole concept of learning the native language (especially when it comes down to stuff like code), my advice, don't worry about other peoples knowledge, just focus on what you know and soon it'll get bigger the more you work at learning

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittineague View Post
    I used to jokingly say that all college did was teach you how to use longer words. [...]
    What he said.

Inability to say something so that others can understand is the problem of the speaker, not the listener.

To be fair, it can also mean you're in the wrong place and others expect you to know the jargon (which is what happened to me when I've gone to the knitting forums )

But in this medium it really takes just some extra effort to Google a few terms. So if you really want to understand you can take some time to do your homework.
    Saul

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JREAM View Post

Anyone else know what Im saying?
    It is interesting to me to see what has happened over the last decades.

It used to be that people knew their stuff in a particular area and were content with that. You could read the news papers and books, maybe get a little information and education from radio and TV, and then the internet started. Information exploded, so many people started to have sites with their particular knowledge and the net expanded and expanded and still is doing so.

Now to extrapolate from that that one is stupid for not knowing all these things that are presented is a far and futile reach. It is like saying that a person is dumb because they have not read and understood all books that are out there.

We all choose certain areas of interest early in life and go from there to develop some skills. We add to them as we get older (some do not) and become more knowledgeable, but the knowledge always stays limited. It is a fact and we just have to live with that. Companies utilize this fact by employing people with different skill sets to have in the end a product that could have never been produced by just one mind.

So the information load that is upon us can be used to become more productive by choosing carefully what one reads or it can become destructive and overwhelming by its sheer banality and uselessness when one spends time frittering the days away with mindless drivel or just unrelated things to ones own life. Not all things that are knowledge are important to know as an individual. The only thing that a person must do is learn how to think in a logical manner and to think in principles so solutions can be found in using the knowledge that is out there and finding it when needed.

-----------

So do not get discouraged or intimidated when you feel like tumbling along and stumbling, make a conscious decision to learn the "long" words, it will be to your benefit and then you too can use those words and not feel inferior.

From other posts that you had I assume that you are still a rather young person, so that has a lot to do with not knowing many things yet as well.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10