SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're running some sites right now and generating 300,000+ monthly impressions. We expect this number to hit 500,000+ by this Summer and want to start going with rotating banner ads.

We're contemplating between AdJuggler (Classic?), CentralAd and WebAdverts. Each product seems to have its upside and its downside. Paying between $500 and $1,000 is fine with us but we would prefer to not go too much higher. Also, easy installation is a MUST. We're on IIS and have had problems installing some scripts in the past.

Any advice would be great... Sorry for rehashing this debate but I think a lot of us are facing it!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done a lot of research on this topic over the past several months, and here's what I know.. there doesn't seem to be very many options available

Webadverts - http://awsd.com/scripts/
    It does the job, but it is not as professional as other options. Advertisers can log in, but the stats really aren't that impressive. It also eats up a lot of server resources if that is a problem for you. I used this for a short time.

CentralAd - http://centralad.com
    Download the 30 day limited software to see how it works. You can't really run any campaigns on it because it is limited, but you'll get an idea of how it works. I haven't purchased it yet, but I am considering it. From what I can tell, the support for it is not very good, but you'll have a more professional interface for advertisers to login on as compared to Webadverts. The program is also written in C++ which makes it somewhat easier on the server (I think.)

AdJuggler - http://adjuggler.com
    It didn't seem to be recommended by anyone. I don't remember finding any information regarding someone who actually uses it. With the cost being higher, it didn't seem to be the best choice.

Spinbox - http://spinbox.com
    I was actually referred to Spinbox through this site. You could use the virtual spinbox to serve your ads for $149/month (you'll have to check the site to be sure). The features of the spinbox cannot be beat... mainly, you can set a campaign to run from 4/1 - 4/30, for instance, with a maximum of 50,000 impressions, and spinbox will distribute them evenly across the month. You don't have to mess with ratios or percentages to serve your ads. This was a big plus for me, because my site traffic grows so quickly that I would have to go readjust ratios daily to keep things running with other programs. The spinbox may cost you more, but if you make enough $ advertising, the spinbox is the way to go.

[This message has been edited by AtoZ (edited April 06, 2000).]

Matt Mickiewicz
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Another option that looks very promising:
    http://adrunner.mycomputer.com/

------------------
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder/Administrator
    http://www.SitePoint.com - Resources to Build and Grow Your Site!
    matt@sitepoint.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another promising one is AdCycle. www.adcycle.com

Owen

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AdCycle looks pretty promising! I especially like the help forum. I was thinkg about installing WebAdverts, but I may change my mind. Thanks for the tip!

Mike

------------------
    Street Bikers United - protecting the rights of motorcyclists worldwide.
    Cosmic Custom Airbrush - Hawaii's premier airbrush studio.
    New Life Community Church - Your Christian online community

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still trying to find decent banner ad software for IIS. No one has been able to give me any rock-solid suggestions. I'll continue my search but I'm sure there are other webmasters out there hosting on IIS that have found something that works for them. I would sure love to know what it is!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am interested in this thread.

My site is getting about 420,000 page views a month now.

I was accepted as a member of Burst Media, and chose the non-exclusive contract.

I seem to have an opportunity to sell some standard size (468x60 pixels) banners on my site directly to advertisers.

These are small companies that seem to be interested in spending $200.00 to maybe $400.00 a month for say 10,000 to 25,000 banner views.

Lets say I get a few such advertisers. Maybe five of them buying upto 100,000 banner views a month.

How would I integrate this with my Burst advertising.

By the way, my site is hosted by tera-byte.com on a Cobalt RaQ4 shared server. CGI, MySQL and PHP are available, but I know next to nothing about them.

Tom-B

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am interested in this thread.

My site is getting about 420,000 page views a month now.

I was accepted as a member of Burst Media, and chose the non-exclusive contract.

I seem to have an opportunity to sell some standard size (468x60 pixels) banners on my site directly to advertisers.

These are small companies that seem to be interested in spending $200.00 to maybe $400.00 a month for say 10,000 to 25,000 banner views.

Lets say I get a few such advertisers. Maybe five of them buying upto 100,000 banner views a month.

How would I integrate this with my Burst advertising?

By the way, my site is hosted by tera-byte.com on a Cobalt RaQ4 shared server. CGI, MySQL and PHP are available, but I know next to nothing about them.

Tom-B

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Romans837, check out Ban Man Pro. They offer a Win NT/2000 solution that is powerful, stable and fast. Their sales and support staff are also super-fast, and impressed me so much that I almost bought a Windows server just to run this software.

Tom-B, I currently serve ads to Net-Ads with AdCycle. This is a free system that supports rich-media code (ie, the code provided by Burst!, Flycast and the like). It utilizes MySQL, but you don't need to understand how MySQL works in order to get it running. There is also a Fast-CGI version of the script available in order to minimize server load. (If you're hosting your site in a shared environment, you should check with your host in order to ensure that they accept processor-demanding scripts such as this.)
    Czar - Former SitePoint Alumni

Want to make more money from your website?
    Join Geek/Talk to find out how!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Czar,

Thanks for your recommendation. Recently AdCycle stopped offering the freeware version of AdCycle. They do still offer two shareware versions of AdCycle.

wholesomesoft.com now offers Fast AdCycle which is still freeware and requires Fast CGI.

Do you have any comments about these three versions?

Tom-B

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Czar
    Romans837, check out Ban Man Pro. They offer a Win NT/2000 solution that is powerful, stable and fast.
    We looked at Banmanpro, about 18 months ago and they offered and excellent product. Since then I know theyve made some real leaps forward in the development of their system. I think their a fairly small operation so you can probably get far more system integration help than with a larger provider.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom-B, although I use the standard freeware version, I've heard great things about the FastCGI version. While it remains an 'unofficial' modification, and is thus not supported by the AdCycle.com team, it offers identical features and functionality, along with the performance enhancements that can be had by using FastCGI.

It's a pity that AdCycle have abandoned their freeware version, but their software is still well worth the asking price at $89.
    Czar - Former SitePoint Alumni

Want to make more money from your website?
    Join Geek/Talk to find out how!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go AdvertPRO go!
    Might be a little expensive @ $600, but when you want to be serious when it comes down to advertising taking some expenses is part of the game.

I serve many, many millions of impressions per month with it, without having any problems. And the features are truly MASSIV!

Just to let you know

Have a great day,

Mike
    Mike Ossendrijver
    Sales, AdSensor - Quality Online Marketing
    mike@adsensor.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike,

I'm guessing that like banmanpro your still required to serve your own ads from your servers?