SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recommendations for a muck around hostng account? Slicehost?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap but functional muck-around host. i.e. something that gives you support for a lot of things, but is cheap enough just to use for mucking around.

I stumbled over Slicehost, and they've got a $20 mnth, 256 account that sounds alright - gives you a Linux install and you're off on your own.

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Andy,

The consensus from members is that hostgator has the best inexpensive hosting - unless you need a VPS. From your lack of description of needs, I think their plan is about $6/mo and that would suit. Some have recommended various VPS solutions starting at $20/mo but they seem too limited to be of much good (in the production environment).

If you're just "mucking around," try Kevin's book (your signature's BYO link; you have it but others could just download the FREE Chapter 1 for installation instructions) and put together a test server on your own computer. I have and it saves great embarassment in the real world when you experiment with new code, layout, etc, and allows you to match the configuration of your host's server.

Regards,

DK
    Last edited by dklynn; Aug 12, 2009 at 21:41. Reason: I verified your BYO link - to Kevin's book!
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

SitePoint Zealot digital_shubhi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hostgator has the best inexpensive hosting
    I agree with you !

I also use it and happy with it.

- Digital -

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Linode do a similar vps account to Slicehost except you get more memory (360mb) for the money and a choice of datacentres so you can choose the one with the best ping if you tend to do a lot of ssh work. A 256mb vps is perfectly capable of hosting production sites as long as it's not on an oversold host, is correctly setup, and is not expected to sustain large amounts of traffic. In the case of linode/slicehost they don't have plesk/cpanel installed which would take up a bit too much memory for a 256 VPS. For purely short term experimental work amazon ec2 is also great - you can select an AMI with the closest match of software and rent it for an hour or a week, then switch it off when finished with. If you want to persist your data when switched off then you need to look into Amazon EBS too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You said you need to have support for a lot of things. That is general statement. If you could please name at least some of them that would be really great and that will help us to suggest you something
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We actually had an article about this with a few choices:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/article/dev...dly-web-hosts/

There was a bit of grumpiness about "why isn't _____ on here?" but it's a fairly nice overview of some interesting plans you may not have heard of.

(PS: How do you know you love your internets a LITTLE too much? atetlaw sits right behind me )
    "I'm Commander Shepard, and this is
    my favourite post on the internet."

We'll miss you, Dan Schulz.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS: How do you know you love your internets a LITTLE too much? atetlaw sits right behind me
    That is pretty funny!
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

The price is reasonable if you are looking for a VPS. However, there are many other cheaper options around if you are looking for a unlimited space and unlimited bandwidth shared web hosting.