SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many users have flash these days, what if not installed?

How many users have flash these days, what if not installed?

I normally set my swf to be version 7 to allow for people not on the latest version of the player, what else could I do to improve the experience? should I run a detection script to render a jpeg instead or something? or do so many users have flash installed its no longer an issue, if you could help that would be great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Majority of Internet users have Flash Player installed. However, it is not necessary that they have the latest version. But, you can assume the installation of version 8 and later.

SitePoint Evangelist ferrari_chris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember hearing a statistic from Adobe once that stated they had the latest version at 95% penetration (of people with Flash already installed) within 4 months of its release.

So that's pretty impressive.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thewebhostingdir View Post
    Majority of Internet users have Flash Player installed.
    Only those accessing the internet from a computer. The vast majority of those using other devices to access the internet are using browsers that don't even allow it to be installed.

Also a significant fraction of those who do have it installed have it disabled in their browser and only enable it for those sites where they decide it is worth the extra overhead.

Once you adjust the statistics to include these factors, a typical site can probably expect around 40-60% of their visitors to view the Flash.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stats I've seen from large enterprise level sites, sources such as the BBC website technet stats database, and advertising CDN's (who take an extreme interest in analysing what gets viewed or not and how it affects their bottom line) show 93-98&#37;, but a lot depends on the site audience. In reality, the incidence of flash blocking/disabling amongst the general public is almost statistically insignificant.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Funny... because NoScript blocks flash by default and according to Mozilla downloads it has so far recieved 52,752,083 downloads, I would call that far from statistically insignificant. stevewebdev2005 if you are going to make claims about statistics, at least have something to back them up.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 93-98&#37; figures I have seen claimed are for computers only.

It excludes all non-computer internet devices.
    It excludes the 6-10% with javaScript disabled (where it has no way to tell if Flash is installed)
    It excludes all those running a browser such as Firefox or Opera with a plugin that disables Flash except where you tell it specifically to run the flash.

That would reduce the figures for general use by a very significant amount - the ignored by those figures is such a high percentage of web users as to render that 93-98% meaningless as you are only looking at perhaps around 50-60% of web users being included in the count to start with.

With more and more people using non-computers to access the web the percentage with access to be able to install Flash is rapidly falling and should soon fall below 50%.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Evangelist ferrari_chris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until those devices become Flash capable...

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrari_chris View Post
    Until those devices become Flash capable...
    And considering Adobe's development cycle and the time it has taken them to port the flash player to other platforms (like 64bit for example)... we may be looking to another 5 years probably, and that's if were lucky and the mobile browser's don't change too much.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    Funny... because NoScript blocks flash by default and according to Mozilla downloads it has so far recieved 52,752,083 downloads, I would call that far from statistically insignificant. stevewebdev2005 if you are going to make claims about statistics, at least have something to back them up.
    52million out of 1 billion firefox installs, firefox is 20% of browser market.
    That makes for 5% of 20% = about 1% overall.

I could argue that 33million flash player downloads per day versus 120,000 adblock download per day gives an even lower percentage.

I could also argue that mobile traffic despite growing rapidly, it is (compared to desktop use) still extremely low at about 1% . Any casual investigation of credible browser and screen resolution stats proves conclusively that it still accounts for very little real traffic:

iphone os 0.44%
    iphone os at 0.06%

iphone accounts for 33% of worldwide mobile traffic

Regarding cdn data I've seen - they monitor alt content served (static images) versus dynamically inserted content (flash inserted via javascript) through raw server logs so audience loss via those tangents is factored in. It's naive to suggest multi million dollar businesses involved directly in serving content to consumers gather stats incorrectly. The BBC in particular is fastidious about accessability and universal availablity of content, you can read their public facing developer guidelines if you have any doubts about that (and notice they make plenty use of flash on their site..)