SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

has anyone felt like they have been held hostage by their hosting co? advice needed!

I have dozens and dozens of sites I have been hosting for about 5 years on this one hosting company's servers. The problem however, is that if something goes down or wrong, I have a difficult time getting in touch with them due to them having a busy schedule / having different hours, etc. And when I do, they get VERY angry at me, telling me to back off, just send in a support ticket and "we will get to it when we get to it". Well, I have had several clients emails down ALL DAY LONG. I asked for an update, but really, really cringed because I was worried the tech guy was going to slam me again. I am worried he is gonna take a "don't like our service? screw you and go someplace else!"

Well - that is easier said than done. I CRINGE to think how long and how much money it would take to move everyone. I am terrified about stepping on this guys toes, and having the sites just stay down for days.

Has anyone dealt with this? What do you suggest? Is there legal action that can be taken? I definitely don't want to, but if they are going to not support me to the point that I am going to lose my business, then I am very concerned.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If these are just standard sites that need no more than shared hosting, moving clients to a different host should not cost much, in time or money. It should just be a matter of uploading the site to a new host, re-adding the mailboxes, and changing the nameservers on the domain. A few minutes per client.

You should not have to feel like that. Don't tie yourself to any service provider.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    many of these sites are much more in depth and would take a lot longer. many have tons of emails, a database, many path changes, etc.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Yes, you can take a legal action against this company, however, if you do this, it might be possible that the hosting company will try to cause harm to your data. Hence, I would suggest you to take the backup of all your data (even if it takes weeks to do this) and once you get all your data, you can cancel the hosting services and choose a different hosting provider.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe a move to a provider that uses the same control panel would be less troublesome. Often times hosts are willing to do the transfer for you.

You should not have to feel like that. Don't tie yourself to any service provider.
    Words of wisdom there. Repeatedly taking abuse from someone you're paying is unacceptable. They don't deserve your business.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes web hosting providers do everything possible to tie you to them and you need to understand that and be extra careful. Check if you are the owner of the domain name registered through them etc. You do not want to ne tied but them might want to

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were having the same problem with one server. We migrated slowly one-by-one all the accounts to another server - first small accounts and then larger one. In faact, we backed up each account and ftped them to another server directly. This way, you can come out from this problem.

Best regards.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You shall contact your hosting provider to get the latest updates on the current situation. How long they need to response to your inquiries? If the response are taking too long time and not really solve the problem, then they are not a reliable hosting provider.
    Cheers!
    Roy
    Tagged on latest ASP.NET Hosting technologies and features.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Even if they response to your questions and queries within time, they do not have a right to be rude to you.

There are thousands of hosting providers on the Internet and none of the hosting provider should be rude to customers if they want to remain in the market.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Nelson View Post
    Even if they response to your questions and queries within time, they do not have a right to be rude to you.

There are thousands of hosting providers on the Internet and none of the hosting provider should be rude to customers if they want to remain in the market.
    Respecting customers would be the best approach I agree. But at the same time the customer always have the choice to move or to stay
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's pretty unacceptable behaviour from them. Customer service in today's world has no place for Anger and harshness towards customers. Why don't you simply move to a respectable hosting service. You can easily move even a very high traffic website, if you are careful about the important things.

I made a movement of around 35 sites, which went pretty smoothly. If you have even higher number of sites, one by one should easily make you move.