SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question SSL cookie+admin cookie

I want to make my website secure by using session cookies(not stored on a user's pc). I also want to use ssl. I know how to set session cookies using php, but what type of cookie does SSL use?, session or persistent(stored on user's pc) cookie?

And i was told if a hacker finds the administrator cookie they will be able to have admin privilages. If i use session cookies, will this eliminate the risk? Because session cookies are stored in the browser's memory, not the pc's hard drive.

What is the most secure way to have an admin login control panel for my site? For example cpanel uses www.url.com/cpanel then you type in username and password, so I'm just wondering what the most secure way is?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Session cookie also will be stored (in temporary memory) on the client PC. So this cookie will be erased when Browser is closed.

Regarding session hijacking, try using suhosin extension. This extension will help you in encrypting both session and cookie data. This extension will encrypt the session data with Remote IP address. So, even if somebody on a different system able to grab the cookie, they cannot use it.

I think, this cookies concept doesn't depend on SSL.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) cookies when you want to encrypt sensitive information. If you go from an HTTPS (secured) connection, and then back to HTTP (non-secured), your cookies are readable and visible.